Prado fuel tank in hilux

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 20:50
ThreadID: 66991 Views:3865 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Was wondering if firstly would there be any legal issues with mounting a 90L main tank from a prado under the rear end of a hilux where the spare usually goes ?? Was thinking this would be a cheaper option then getting a long range tank to replace the original one. 2nd question, does anybody know if you can purchase a rear wheel carrier to hang off the rear bar or would I have to get one specially made ?? also would there be any legal or insurance issues with either of these items fitted ?? .......WHG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bushpig - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 09:39

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 09:39
WHG
For the effort of finding ways to mount it and then trying , plumbing it in etc and then to find a place for the tyre it would easier and safer to get a longrager of 145ltrs for around 1200 fitted ARB. I did mine and was very happy.

Chjeers
Jack
AnswerID: 355088

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 16:47

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 16:47
Hi there Bushpig, havnt looked into the prices yet as Im in the process of getting rid of the prado. Just doing a bit of homework first before I purchase another vehicle. Im leaning towards the hilux duel cab D4D base model (second hand) due to cargo capacity. I also miss the 170L water tank we had in the old lux. Pain in the prado and have found it very very limited in cargo area especially now with a little one. $1200 I suppose it would cost me that anyway for a wheel carrier if available ?? So going the way you have said sounds logicle. I have heard of the longranger tanks but didnt realize that you could get a tank with that capacity for a hilux which would be great with a D4D, would easily give me over 1000k range going by their consumption............WHG
FollowupID: 623218

Reply By: Wizard1 - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:14

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:14
Tried selling my 90L Prado tank after fitting a 170L aftermarket one. A chap wanted to fit one to his Hilux, but it appeared that it wouldn't fit between the shocks or something like that.
AnswerID: 355094

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 16:40

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 16:40
HI there Wizard1, where did you get the 170L fitted in the prado ?? Did they drop the main or reserve tank to do this ?? Didnt know they made bigger tanks for the prado due to their dual tank set up from the factory (except the RV 4 cylinder only one tank).. This is my issue with my prado hence why Im selling it. I put it on LPG and they dropped the main 90L tank, only getting 300k out of the gas (freeway). Cant put a bigger gas tank in it as it wont fit between the chassis rails so has limited my touring distance dramatically (loss of 400K) Too much hassle to put the fuel tank back in hence why Im getting a diesel next time, either another 95 series or base model D4D hilux hence the question about fitting the prado tank into a hilux. Leaning towards the hilux due to alot more cargo area especially with canopy.......... WHG
FollowupID: 623217

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 16:52

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 16:52
Sorry Wizard, forget my stupid question, next time I will read your reply properly """tried selling my 90L prado tank""" DOH.... Change of question LOL..... Did you lose much ground clearance with the 170L tank ???
FollowupID: 623221

Sponsored Links