Camper Trailer Help

Submitted: Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:15
ThreadID: 67004 Views:3313 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

I am looking for some advice from the Camper Trailer/Caravan towing fraternity.

My wife and I are not new to the four wheel driving scene but have now decided to create a camper trailer and need some help on the stone guard design.

We see some trailers/vans with a shade cloth type covering on a forward sloping frame on the drawbar. Other rigs have mudflaps that cover the entire width of the four wheel drive.

Which is the better system and why?? Or is there something else to protect that rear window that we have not yet seen??

Any other technical help would be appreciated too.

Regards

Disco and Daisy Duck

Discovery 2 TD5 and
Soon to be Comleted Campervan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:23

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:23
There should be a lot of comment on this in the archives here - try a search on 'stoneguards'. I'm moving out of campers and in to a van soon, but my preference was a home made shadecloth 'trampoline' stretched between the car and the trailer to provide a total stone barrier (will probably do the same on the van). I have used the sloping guard previously - they are good, but chips and window damage can't be ruled out.
AnswerID: 355098

Reply By: wato35 - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:24

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:24
Hi Ducks
I have just gone through the same problem. Here is a link to look at.

http://www.campertrailers.org/stone_guards.htm

It will give you some ideas.

Cheers
Wato
AnswerID: 355099

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 19:42

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 19:42
The short answer is on some roads, mudflaps throw stones when they drag in the higher centre of the road. Trampolines reflect them, if designed correctly, downwards away from the rear window. :-)
AnswerID: 355190

Sponsored Links