4wd hire advise ?

Submitted: Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:24
ThreadID: 67006 Views:3347 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am starting to plan a 3-4 week holiday for May-June next year.
The plan is to fly from Canberra to Darwin( saves a long drive) then hire a Troopy camper of some sort and travel around to various places ending back up in Darwin to fly home.
Has anyone done this ?
Does this sound like a good idea?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:47

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:47
Why not,sounds good to me. Hire and fly certainly takes a few unknowns from the equation.
Sargents 4wd hire were advertising troopies at $90 a day ,unlimited klms.
A full camper troopy would be double or triple that.
You could buy a swag and a small tent an save money
AnswerID: 355104

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:36

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:36
Have you driven the any of the several routes from Canberra to Darwin before? There is so much to see, Im a bit at a loss to see why you would fly and hire, given that you appear to have your own well equipped vehicle. Provided that it is in good condition it would be more than adequate for the trip. Perhaps more detail regarding what you want to do would help.

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 355111

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:55

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:55
$90 per day and airfares would go along way for fuel in your own vehicle for the trip. Remember the troopie needs fuel on top as well. Also you haven't got the stress of an unknown vehicle and the possibility of damage or writing off someone elses vehicle.
I'd rather take my own...much more enjoyable and if you want to extend the trip you can in yours, their vehicle may be booked again by someone else already so it has to be returned on time.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 355126

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 14:25

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 14:25
Make sure you understand any limitations on the insurance. Does the insurance cover the vehicle on dirt roads, off road etc

AnswerID: 355140

Reply By: Tenpounder - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:31

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:31
Hi there. We faced the same dilemma last year, and ended up flying and hiring a 2wd, which was a real compromise. Trouble is, if I am going anywhere off the main roads, I like some tools, a first aid kit, recovery gear, compressor, Engel, 2nd battery, camping stuff, say around 100 plus kg without even considering jerry cans for fuel or water, shovel or Maxtrax!!
I had also heard about strict instructions from the hirer not to air down, regardless, plus the off road restrictions, and hiring a proper 4WD to go bush just got too hard! Regardless of the money!
At least, if you hire a Troopy in Darwin, most other people will get out of your way as you approach, to preserve their lives from mad foreign tourists determined to get gravel rash on their roofs!
I do know that reputable hirers will be willing and able to provide some sensible stuff, like a 2nd spare etc. but you need to check your vehicle end to end before you leave their depot, including all tyres.
Good luck.
Chris (SA)
AnswerID: 355148

Reply By: Flywest - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 17:33

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 17:33
No

Don't
AnswerID: 355161

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 17:45

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 17:45
My dad did this a few years ago. Flew to Darwin and picked up a 4wd camper. The plan was to drive to Cun-anara then down to Perth and fly back to Adelaide. When they got to the hire car place they were told they weren't allowed to take the 4wd off the road (dirt roads OK but no off road). Having said that, he did. But my old boy is not a 4wd'er so he didn't do anything he wasn't comfy with. Had he known that when he booked he would have hired a small car. So might pay to check this out if you do. Thing is though, by flying you can get from home to Darwin and back in under a day, thereby saving about 7 - 10 days in the car. Great if you have limited time.

Louie
AnswerID: 355165

Sponsored Links