looking for travel companions for great central road

Submitted: Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:19
ThreadID: 67019 Views:2538 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, will be leaving Perth approx. mid june, heading for Alice Springs. Would love to go via the great central road, but we would feel more secure doing it with someone. Not afraid of people but a little iffy about the road. Will be towing a Cub camper trailer with 4x4. Lack of confidence I suppose! Would be great to hear from someone. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:23

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:23
If you don't find anyone to tag along with, there will be plenty of other travellers. Keep you two way on channel 40 and you will be able to communicate with others travelling close to you.

Let your tyres down and take your time.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 355197

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:30

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:30
You'll be right on your own, not a problem. The road is fine, well at least until you get into the NT anyway, it get's a bit rougher there but you've got good camp spots at Tjukayirla roadhouse and Warrakurna Roadhouse and check out Giles Weather Station it's a must. Also don't forget your permit for WA side and NT side. At least you get into Ayers Rock for free coming that way.
AnswerID: 355198

Reply By: ross - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:33

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:33
You'll be fine on your own. I went through there a couple of years ago in April and the traffic was steady. There would be vehicle coming the other way every 20-30 mins.
Road is quite passable in a 2wd.
Keeping the speed down even when it looks good is crucial and NEVER drive at nightout there.
Note the camel tracks on the road that appear each morning;)
AnswerID: 355199

Follow Up By: Member - Dennis P (Scotland) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 21:09

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 21:09
Hi Ross,
I worked out there for a while and, because I wasn't sightseeing, found the best time to travel is at night, much cooler and no local traffic.
The roos are about until you get past Cosmo and camels being diurnal will sometimes sleep on the road but with a good set of lights and cutting speed back on corners are easy to spot.

Just my two bobs worth.

Cheers,
Dennis

FollowupID: 623261

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 21:32

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 21:32
Dennis, i would not travel between dusk and dawn. Even in the day time, camels can come out in front of you at short notice and just stop the traffic. Kangaroos are totally unpredictable.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 623269

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 21:51

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 21:51
Ross
Like Motherhen has posted. We nearly collected a camel last year between Warburton and Warakurna. Even though the road is really wide, there are sections where the vegetation is quite dense and in one such spot, the camel must have heard our vehicles coming and did the old harry bolt right in front of my vehicle - a very good way of giving the old heart a real work out.

Like all the others have said, there is always lots of traffic, keep your speed and tyre pressures down and things being equal, you should have an easy trip if it is not wet.

Take your time as there is lots to see.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 623273

Follow Up By: ross - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 00:32

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 00:32
Some of the bends can come up on you quick in the day,at night with dust from another car ,you are driving blind.
I did a short stint one night to get to the camping area but I wish I hadnt.

Someone hit a camel not far behind me in broad daylight. Its a big trip in the ambulance even if you aqre within range of an airstrip
FollowupID: 623293

Reply By: Holden4th - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:33

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:33
You'll be fine by yourselves.Iit's not too hard a journey and if you stop at the van parks/road houses along the way you'll meet some great people who might be happy to travel along with you.

I did it by myself in 07 and enjoyed the journey.
AnswerID: 355200

Reply By: olddigger - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 21:01

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 21:01
Malu,
Interesting piece in The West yesterday (Caravan show supplement) about the Outback Way. Seems interesting. Have a look at:

http://www.outbackway.org.au/

Cheers, Tony
AnswerID: 355215

Sponsored Links