Converting compressor

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 23:38
ThreadID: 6702 Views:1683 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I see Bunning’s are selling the 206 L/min compressor with 2HP electric motor, 24L steel tank complete on wheels with auto cutout and relief valve for $99. Has anyone dismantled one of these direct drive compressors as I am trying to find out if the compressor crankshaft is integral to the electric motor. I'm debating whether a small petrol motor could be retrofitted. With the tank removed it could make quite a compact portable unit to pump up tyres quickly after a group beach run. Any ideas??Cheers
Allan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 08:50

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 08:50
Air conditioning compressordriven off your motor is compact. Seen one coupled to a starter b4 aswell.
Dont forget that you can add the petrol motor to the end of the electric motor shaft, and drive the lot without any problems (aslong as you can couple it)
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 28522

Reply By: Gazza - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 16:10

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 16:10
I saw a good setup on a 80 series called "1TUFF4B".

It used a rotary A/C compressor and a storage tank off a bus mounted up under the chassis.

No doubt there was a pressure cutoff to deactivate the clutch.

Only trick is whether you have room under the bonnet to mount the Comp!
AnswerID: 28541

Follow Up By: Member - Allan - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 23:00

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 23:00
Thanks Gazza but my plans were not to mount it under the bonnet (I already have ARB compressor) I wanted to build something that would pump up 4 or 5 vehicles tyres quickly rather than thrash the little ARB's to death when doing beach fishing trips. The compressor is oil lubricated and reasonably compact for its capacity. If the motor armature and compressor crank is 'one piece' I could always cut it and make up a rubber coupling.Cheers
Allan
FollowupID: 19844

Sponsored Links