Bicentennial National Trail

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 03:04
ThreadID: 67030 Views:2136 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I would like to do the whole trail by mountain bike. How have people in the past obtained supplies along the route. I would expect to have to detour off to trek to nearby towns to resupply. Is this feasible?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 06:15

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 06:15
hancial
I'm not too sure any on this site can answer this one. That's a big trip of epic proportions, as the trail starts in southern Victoria and ends in Northern Queensland, and a trip of that size would warrant a back up crew of some description in a 4WD for just such things as supply, rescue, bike parts, camp set up, 1st aid etc.

You would be wise to have radio or sat phone to stay in touch with the backup crew. Also travelling partners would also be necessary for safety in the more remote areas you will be travelling.

I do feel a riders forum would best suit this question, and a trip of that size would be great if you had sponsors and publicise it for fund raising for a good cause.

Whatever you do, good luck.
Colin.
AnswerID: 355263

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 08:16

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 08:16
Around 1192 we meet Tony Mair, Melissa Weeks and Canadian Ariene Christopherson while camped near Mutchilba. They were on the last leg of the journey from Healsville to Cooktown.

They said it had been a very hard trip on them and the horses. From memory Ariene had Thoroughbreds and the others had Brumbies and Brumbie cross mule pack horses. The Thoroughbreds had not stood up well to the trip at all. They took 15 months to complete the journey and went through half a tonne of dried fruit and the horses two and a half tonne of rice pellets.

I don't know wether the trail will be over grown in places which would cause problems and supply could be over come by contacting people along the route who may store supplies for you. The trio told us people had been very kind to them from Vic to Qld.

All the best if you decide to attempt the ride, just do your homework really well.

Have a good one

AnswerID: 355269

Reply By: The Landy - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 09:56

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 09:56
Hancial

I can't answer your qestin specifically; but good luck with this, it would be a great trip!

The Landy
AnswerID: 355287

Reply By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 22:33

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 22:33
5330 klms of mountain bike riding, better you than me, good luck,
look up Bicentenial National trail, it has everything your after
AnswerID: 355388

Sponsored Links