Advice about value of '87 Landcruiser

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 13:02
ThreadID: 67043 Views:3985 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
After many pleasurable adventure trips, we are thinking about selling our 1987 model, 60 series Landcruiser. However, we don't know what price to put on it so just wondering if any of you experienced 4WDers know roughly what one of these vehicles might be worth? It is in good condition, apart from some surface rust that we will fix. Options include:

1987 60 Series Landcruiser Station Wagon (barn doors)
4 litre straight 6 cylinder petrol engine
Colour White
Genuine 217,000 kms
5 speed manual
Second (belly) fuel tank 80 litre capacity
8,000lbs PTO winch on front
Old Man Emu heavy duty suspension with greasable shackles
Side steps
Dual batteries with isolator
Safari snorkel
Full aluminium roof rack with 80W Solar panel (charges secondary battery)
Haymon Reece towbar
15inch Sunraysia wheels with 2 spares
Cargo barrier behind rear seat
Air compressor
Aftermarket drivers' seat with lumbar support
Rear power outlet for fridge

Appreciate any advice please. This vehicle still runs well.
Thanks
June
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: oldfart1953 - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 13:22

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 13:22
Hi June,
Time for a little hit of reality. Unfortunately in the real world I have found, your vehicle is never worth as much to any one else as it is to you. You have an impressive & comprehensive list of extras to make touring more relaxing & safe. You have invested a squillion dollars purchasing these & having them fitted. I have found that you will never recoup a reasonable return when selling a vehicle especially loaded with extras. I have even removed extras then sold them to mates or on ebay, this returning me more monetary gain that 'giving them away' with the vehicle.
What is your 'bare' vehicle worth?/
Go to www.redbook.com.au

CU down the road

Tony H
Hunter Valley
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 355321

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 13:58

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 13:58
I have seen plenty of these for sale for only a couple of K at the most. Our family has an 88 FJ62 with about the same Ks as yours on it and we are realistic listing it for about $3,500 but would probably accept about $2,500. Even diesels are only selling for $3K.

The accessories will add little in value but might make it a bit easier to sell. I would pull those off that are removable and sell seperately - you will increase your overall profit margin.

Garry
AnswerID: 355329

Reply By: Madfisher - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 14:18

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 14:18
Hi June,
Check what your opposition are selling these for and price accordingly. Car sales, country cars, drive are all other sites you can check out other 60s. As others have said remove roof rack etc and sell seperate. We just sold a 93 paj with 98000ks for $7400.00. Made sure I detailed it well(good polish, black tyres etc),and had heaps of inquires.I priced it so it was better value then others on the page.
You see heaps of people put ridiculous prices on vehicles and they are still for sale 12 months later, and now worth 25% less then a year earlier.
But 60 are a good thing and have a following.
Goodluck Pete
AnswerID: 355333

Reply By: Grandma June - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 16:51

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 16:51
Thanks everyone for the advice provided. Pretty much what we thought, but just wanted to check. Didn't want to go asking a ridiculous price without first researching. We'll probably remove the obvious extras and sell them separately.
Once again thanks.
June
AnswerID: 355350

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:09

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:09
June do not forget you can advertise your 4by on this site for a reasonable fee. I have already told the neigbour about it so let us know on this thread what you are asking for it.
If you become a member you get a free display add, great value..
And what state do you live in?
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 623385

Reply By: gamesweplay - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:45

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:45
I'd hedge ya bets.... car salesman said to me once, there is a bum for every seat. So advertise in some form where it runs till you sell or similar with your dream price, with all extras attached.

Then advertise some where with all extras removed at a more competitive price.

Never know your luck, there is someone out there who WILL appreciate the car for what it is and pay a fair price for it....Just got to find them :)

Cheers S.P
AnswerID: 355364

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:57

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:57
HI June,

As mentioned above 60 series have a strong following of true believers in solid old Landcruisers. But a vehicle thats more than 20 years old can have a huge spread of conditon and thus price. Dont worry about the so called Red Book - I find it completely useless in vehicles that vary so much in condition. A few weeks ago I sold one of my 60 series (a 1988 Diesel sahara) for $12,000. It was only listed for 2 weeks and it sold. But it had low Kms but had no extras. I started at $13,500 and was prepared to come down. If you advertise it cheaply people will think its crap and dont even ring. Advertise it as an exceptional condition version and be prepared to come down.
If yours presents well - with no rust and good paint, a good service record, mechanically sound with no oil leaks, plus all those accessories I would start about $8000 and be prepared to come down from there. People always want to negotiate on old vehicles especially. Make sure you detail it well so it presents as a well cared for vehicle. I would be surprised if you cant walk away with maybe $6500 in your pocket (if its as good as you say it is ). The only 60 series selling for $3000 to $4000 are those with exceptionally high Km and with heaps of rust and oil leaks.
I have owned and sold 7 of the 60 series over the past 15 years and still own one. There will always be a demand for a good 60 series (even if its as a farm bush basher)
Dont be afraid to start high and come down - you can never go up....
Cheers,
GPM
AnswerID: 355366

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 20:56

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 20:56
Good advise their June about the detailing. When we sold our Paj the chap had driven 300ks to pick it up. I knew their was a very similar vehicle right next to him.I also knew it had not been properly cleaned or even had the tyres blackened. His reply was that ours caught his eye because he could see it glisten in the sunlight. He did not know that I had spent half a day giving it the Mcquires treatment.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 623404

Reply By: toyotabits.com - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 20:29

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 20:29
Hello June, you can advertise for free on toyotabits.com as we are a business member of exploroz, give it a try.
AnswerID: 355373

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 23:55

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 23:55
about 4-6k
AnswerID: 355397

Reply By: Rolly - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:54

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:54
A buyer's point of view:

In June last year I bought a 1985 FJ62 Deluxe Auto with only 218,000km on the clock; a rare find in WA.
Good original paint, no rust, (it had been proofed from new), upgraded suspension, ali roo bar and side steps, new LPG conversion, O/hauled carby, radiator removed and rodded, block reverse pressure cleaned, 140l petrol tank, single rear tyre hanger, immaculate interior and a big box of spares all for $6500.
My mechanic offered to buy it off me for more than I paid!

I agree that you might get more if you sell your accessories separately because:
a. It brings the asking price down.
b. An intending purchaser may nor want all the whistles and bells, just a good reliable car, which the 60 series undoubtedly is.
c. Sold individually the buyer can chose the ones that he/she actually needs and can budget accordingly.

Just my thoughts.
AnswerID: 355439

Follow Up By: Rolly - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 13:01

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 13:01
Ooops, I forgot the 2500kg tow bar, good quality sheepskin covers, late model remote controlled radio/CDplayer, new immobiliser/remote key, and possibly a few other things that I have now taken for granted like the OEM aircon that had just had new hoses and seals and re-gassed.
The FJ62 deluxe came well equipped ex factory.
FollowupID: 623474

Reply By: HJ60_Jon - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:00

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:00
Like others have said your best best is to find someone looking for that specific vehicle , there's a cult following with the 60s.
Finding my 2nd 60 was agonising and when i found the right one i forked out the cash.
AnswerID: 355522

Sponsored Links