Update - some road conditions around FNQ & Lower P.D.R.

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:29
ThreadID: 67049 Views:2396 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've added a few updates in the road reports section, but not sure how often this section is used, so in summary:

Bloomfield Track from Cape Tribulation to Cooktown: I came down from cktn to cns on 16/3/09, and it is open to 4wd. the track is in remarkably good shape for this time of the year, in fact, no different to middle of the dry season. all creeks are low. Came thru in high 4wd all the way, but really could do most of it (save for steep bits & creeks) in 2wd. bitumen now complete from Wujal to about 5k past ayton.

PDR : Came down from Coen to Lakeland yesterday. Section from Coen to Musgrave is a goat track. Stop & start, took over 2hrs (105km) & not towing. Many large washouts & corrugations.
Musgarve to Laura not as bad, but still some stop & start washouts & crossings.Laura river down & crossing clear. . Overall took 8.5hrs from coen back to cairns.

Cheers
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 23:11

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 23:11
Hi Mark

Thanks for your info,, the reason you see these roads as closed in our road reports is that the Cook Shire Council as declared these roads closed to all but Local Traffic until further notice.
While the roads are navigable, higher traffic volume would cause rapid deterioration of the roads and therefore hinder essential local traffic.

They let us know when it is appropriate to declare these roads to be open for normal useage.
Hope this helps
Kerry W
Road Conditions CoOrdinator.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 355391

Sponsored Links