Toyota Landcruiser 100 series auto 5th gear lock-out

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 01:17
ThreadID: 67056 Views:16305 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone help me, my 2003 landcruiser 100 series auto, since towing in overdrive the gearbox goes into limp mode or locks you out of overdrive after driving in warm weather after about an hour...............the computer diagnosed low pressure solenoid, so it was replaced.......... but still has the same problem..... now it is doing it in 4th gear, computer diagnosis says low pressure solenoid.... as well as when stationary position...........Local transmission repairer is unable to diagnose the problem....... vehicle has done 130,000 klm"s.

"Any Ideas !!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 08:27

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 08:27
How long since transmission was serviced? filter changed/cleaned and fluid changed?
don't know anything about that particular trans but have the TISS and TOSS been pulled and cleaned if it was recently serviced?
AnswerID: 355412

Follow Up By: GregL - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:07

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:07
The gearbox was serviced at the same time as the new solenoid was fitted. Wiring connectors have been cleaned. I am not familiar with TISS or TOSS. I have been told that the clutch plate in overdrive could have glazed over from heat which in turn shudders when hot and trips out the computer, making it think that something is wrong, but on service of the transmission, oil was OK. The transmission had its first service when the fault was detected, if going by the manual it was not due for a service @ 130,000 just check for leaks...
It is getting to a stage where i cannot drive it without the engine management light coming on and forcing us to pull over and switch the engine off, then restart the car to reset the computer.
FollowupID: 623468

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 15:39

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 15:39
TISS = Transmission Input Speed Sensor
TOSS = Transmission Output Speed Sensor
I've no idea if the Tojo transmission has one or both but would think it probably does, probably called another name tho'.
In the GM transmissions the above sensors sense the input and output speed of the engine and the drivetrain to control shifts. They use a stepper ring and the sensor is actually a magnet which runs very close to the stepper ring, depending on how fast the magnetic field is broken by the stepper ring it senses the speed. Because they are magnets any metallic dust in the auto fluid is picked up and sticks to the magnet giving faulty readings. Easily fixed by removing the sensor, cleaning the metal off the end and reinstalling it.
Faulty sensor reading can do all sorts of strange things, from stopping overdirve being selected to in a worst case putting the trans in limp home mode.
FollowupID: 623505

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 09:05

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 09:05
After the solinod is proven to be working,Auto sparkie may look at where it senses the solinoid is not operating or the wiring and connectors between the processor and the box.

AnswerID: 355414

Reply By: Member - David K (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:56

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:56
Hi Greg, I have a 2007, 100 series Landcruiser auto running on dual fuel. I do a fair amount of heavy towing (at Marybourgh on holiday now with our 24.5ft Jayco Sterling van), my advice is never to tow in overdrive, stay in 4th. Anyway for your problem go to www.lcool.org.

It is a website dedicated to all models of landcruisers and post your question there. Like this site, it is used by many people and again like this great site you will get some knowledgeable advice.

Hope this helps.

Dave.
AnswerID: 355440

Reply By: Simon C - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 13:24

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 13:24
I will be watching this post. Mine does a simalar thing (Not towing though) where I get to 3rd gear only and no further. All solenoids, switches, wiring, computor swapped with another vehical (companies vehicles brought at the same time), and it still does it intermittanly. Auto trans shop[ at Wollongabba (who does the 4x4Xmore work) has no idea....
AnswerID: 355444

Reply By: Mike - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 23:22

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 23:22
Hi Greg, sorry to hear of your trouble.............What did your local Toyota Service centre say?
AnswerID: 355560

Reply By: GregL - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:36

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:36
Hey everyone, well after a lot of talking, and a lot of research along with a lot more talking, i was told that it would be the Converter. I did more talking and went to see the Toyota dealer .... the boke there took the car for a run, ran a few tests............ came up with that it is more than likely an "Electrical Fault" he cleaned the wires in the engine bay etc of grease........ he is positive that will fix the problem, he also noticed that we had a brake controller installed,...... when asked when it was installed, it works out to be around the same time or thereabouts when all out troubles started.......... fingers crossed that this is the problem fixed.
Greg
AnswerID: 358688

Sponsored Links