Rudall River Nat Pk

Has anyone driven from Hanging Rock west to Christies Xing then north up to the Oakover River then onto to Skull Springs Road??
Just wondering the condition of the track and time frame to drive.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 16:31

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 16:31
Check out EO Member Mick O profile and his Blogs as he has written about it.

I will be in those parts coming in from the west in July. It doesn't matter how rough the tracks are...just drive 'em. Going to take a few days to drive although it can be done in a day according to Member Equinox.

PS. Maybe you can put your name to a thread post so that we have some personalisation. Talking to VH-GU4 sounds like yer talking to a Kling-On....LOL

Cheers
AnswerID: 355466

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 16:51

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 16:51
G'day..

Hanging Rock to Skull Springs Road.

It took me 6 hours and 39 minutes to drive the 194 kilometres.
This included stops at Meeting Gorge, Tchukardine Pool and Pearana Rockhole and getting lost east of Bocrabee Hill and near Enacheddone Creek.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 623510

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 16:57

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 16:57
G'day Alan

I wondered if you were lurking somewhere :-)

Sounds like you were in a hurry to get to the shop again (refer a previous film clip)...LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 623511

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 17:38

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 17:38
Willem - correct!!! The two cans of Jim Beam I consumed at the Nullagine Pub were much enjoyed - having had my last warm vodka some weeks prior at a certain well in the Gibson...

Here's a couple of vids of the current topic:

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 623520

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 17:57

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 17:57
See, I told you you'd get that video of Meeting Gorge in there somewhere! Alan, what was the overall condition of the Track across the grassy plains area? Did you see the rock cairn on its western edge? Also is the track discernable across the soil plain west of the rocky knob? How was it west from Bocrabee to the Xing?

Might go in that way this year.

Cheers Mick

Image Could Not Be Found
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 623526

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 18:27

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 18:27
Hi Mick,

The condition of the track is good along the grassy plain, though as Phil says it gets messy after rain. Not dissimilar to the Black Soil Plains of Queensland. - However, it is at the western end of this plain that I became Geographically Challenged, and spent quite a nevous half-hour criss-crossing through the bush trying to find the track again. Right here somewhere I think is the outcrops you speak of, and I saw none of these excepting a general view from the east of the plain.

Image Could Not Be Found

The track from Bocrabee Hill west is also good. I took the Mount Hodgson route and shortly west of that hill the track gets discernably better.

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 623530

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:07

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:07
Alan,

Thanks for the clips. Most interesting - the donkeys were in good nick, eh?

By way of background, last year I was on the Talawana and we had a vehicle breakdown so severe that it had to be trailered out. We had planned to go north to the large National Park you are "in". That deviation was consequently aborted.

Now for a question about phoenetics/pronunciation.

Some of us said the R word (Rudall) one way, and others of us said his name quite differently.

Me, as you know, I'm a South Aussie, and therefore I said
"Roo-dahl".

is it "Rue-dill" ?

or Rudd-all ?

or something else?

thanks & cheers

Rick Moore
FollowupID: 623582

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:16

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:16
"The Rudall River was named by Frank Hann after the surveyor and explorer William Frederick Rudall (pronounced Roo-dal, with stress on the second syllable). To the Aboriginal people who live in this remote desert region, it is called Karlamilyi. The first European explorations of the Rudall River area itself came in 1896-97, when surveyor William Frederick Rudall led a party of men in search of George Jones and Charles Wells, the missing men from the Calvert Expedition. Rudall made three trips through the present park area, during which he named several of its features -- including Mt Hanging RockConnaughton, after one of the members of the search party, and Hanging Rock-or recorded their Aboriginal names. At that time, Rudall noted that there was good gold-bearing land, but that the remoteness and sheer inhospitality of the area made it uneconomical to investigate further. He crossed the river several times and in his account of the search, written a few years later, he commented that:

"The Rudall River is a series of deep gulches 8-10 feet between banks and altogether is about 200 yards wide. There must be large quantities of water run down it in a rainy season."

Rudall River Info

Cheers Mick.
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 623586

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:27

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:27
Hi Rick - haven't heard from you for a while.

Yes, the donkeys seem pretty well fed, a very fertile area I think.

I normally pronouced Rudall, as Roo-dool. However Mick is probably right with his answer, though the Dept. of Environment and Conservation, from which Mick quoted (I think) does not give its sources.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 623589

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:39

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:39
Bugger!! That track looks too easy. Might have to go look somewhere else to explore....LOL

Vimeo.....Wot speed x 2 ???...hahahahaha

Cheers
FollowupID: 623591

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 17:48

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 17:48
By coincidence I have just completed my blog on the section west from Tchukardine Pool. Should be the top one on the blogs at the forum page (11/6/07). I believe that there has been a bit more traffic on the track since I was there in 2006 so depending on this years cyclone season, it should be OK. If you care to send me an email address to mickolsen13@hotmail.com I can provide you with the Google Earth kmz plot files for the tracks north along the oakover.

There are three route options north from the Oakover at Christies Xing, one of which heads due north from Christies. The other main route continues west around the base of Mount Hodgson and west for 11 km before heading north. Some 24 or so km north it divides with one branch continuing more or less north and tending to stay on the eastern side of the Oakover to the Mike Mine. The other branch heads north west into some pretty interesting creek filled country till it meets the Skull Springs Road.

Haven't travelled these routes as yet but going by indications of tracks I did last year that join these, the should be passable. The far west track to Skull springs may be a different issue though.

Cheers Mick.

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 355477

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 17:53

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 17:53
Hi VH GU4

We were west of Hanging Rock in June 2008 about 4 weeks before Alan (Equinox) went thru. It rained day and night and we were stranded for four days.

The morale of the story is yes you can get thru, yes the track is easy to follow but if it rains heavily be prepared for a spell resting up. This holds true for most parts of the desert especially in this area in particular because of the numerous watercourses feeding into the Oakover River

When we got out of the bog we turned back east - will try again another day.

cheers

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 355478

Sponsored Links