Damn kids....won’t listen!

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 20:55
ThreadID: 67089 Views:3234 Replies:11 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
The daughter and her old man have just left to visit Coober Pedy.

Before they left, I suggested a side trip, and travel the 170ks to William Creek then take a flight over Lake Eyre with her mother who is coming across from Marree. Couldn’t be less interested!

Their fixated on Coober Pedy and want to stay for three days. I pointed out them that’s it’s a bleep ant town and can be done in a day.

They then asked about the tourist rock. My response to that was, go on to the Olgas as well. Couldn’t be less interested!

How about Alice Springs? Nar, we don’t won’t to go there.

But it gets worse. Last week I asked them if they had put their new tent prior to leaving (which is a piece of Chinese crap). Why would we need to do that?

They want to camp out. At great length I explained to them last week where they could camp safely between Port Augusta and Eridunda. Not a note was taken and there was a high level of disinterest.

At this point I gave up and realized the difference between the parents and the kids.

I guess at some stage we need to walk away and let them have their head.

Regards

Kim

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Axle - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:08

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:08
Kim!...forget it, When their ih the chit some where they will ring believe me!!. Then say nothing!!!.

Son inlaw blew a head gasket on their falcon, my suggestion ! Get the radiator cleaned", No notice taken, guess what? Two days later i'm towing it home.Over heated motor,and now totally stuffed!....Given up.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 355526

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:22

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:22
G'day Kim. Question: when did we ever listen to our parents ? LOL
AnswerID: 355533

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:35

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:35
Gidday Footy

I did when the old man gave me a fair boot up the rectum!

LOL

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 623576

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:23

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:23
Hi mate, don't you remember when you were that age. The olds know nothing and the kids know it all, its just the circle of life.
cheers mate.
AnswerID: 355535

Reply By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:30

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:30
Howdy Kim, ummmmmmmmm, not being picky or anything, but,

Last week I asked them if they had put their tent prior to leaving.

Is this a trick sentence? Is something missing, no matter how many times I read it, it doesn't make sense, lol lol
AnswerID: 355536

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:44

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 21:44
Well no. One would expect a sensible person to take it out of the bag, check that alll the pieces were there, and become famililar with putting it up and down before going on a trip.

The last time I was in Alice Springs there was a couple who spent over an hour trying to put up one of those dome tents before I went down to help them.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 623579

Reply By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:31

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:31
Howdy Kim, just figured out the missing word, up, Cheers.
AnswerID: 355553

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:42

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 22:42
The Coober Pedy Opal Festival is on at this time of year!!

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 355554

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 08:30

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 08:30
G/Day Kim

The Cook and I stopped giving advice to our boys many years ago,one is 38 and the other is 35, they know we are here if it hits the fan, and they need help, I grew up without parents from 10 years of age, struggled a bit and learnt the hard way, when our boys were growing up we did our best to educate them on the ways of life, they have flown the nest and are educating their kids now, and are doing a bloody good job of it, what's that saying you can't put an old head on young shoulders.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 355586

Reply By: guzzi - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 08:36

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 08:36
To be old and wise first you must be young and stupid.
Its not until you reach your mid 30's that you realise you dont know everything.
As for unprepared camping, a few wet/cold miserable nights is just the education they require. Nothing else will work.
Life is a learning experience, if they dont wont to listen to someone who has done all the wrong things and learned the hard way, well educations a wonderful thing, they'll get over it.
Chill out, sit back and have a beer while waiting for the inevidable phone call, practice the "i told you so" line with dripping sarcasm.
AnswerID: 355587

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 09:59

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 09:59
Hi Kim

LOL I can relate to that. This weekend I unpacked one of those Coleman shower tents just to see how it all goes together. Instructions thrown to the side, let's get into putting this thing up. [1st mistake]. Unfold the tent %^%^ thing came out inside out (like the poles were on the inside). [2nd mistake] Let's get back on track here. Grab a beer. Read the instructions. Restore the status quo and start again. After a couple of HOURS the Taj Mahal is standing. Would I buy it again. Not on that first experience.

You know when you feel a blooming idiot - that was me yesterday! Saving grace was being in my own back yard without anybody watching. Just imagine if I was at one of those camping grounds with all you guys watching. :-)

Maybe I should have saved that for Friday's funnies.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 355600

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 14:46

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 14:46
Bet you had fun putting it down as well - we have decided that just getting it near enough to shove in the bag is ok - going up - no problem - just pops up there (not the coleman - wild country type). It's about the only thing that causes us to have a tiff when we are travelling.
I think a sadist invented them - great idea in theory - practice - not so great.
jules
FollowupID: 623672

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 15:13

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 15:13
Hi Jules

Havn't taken it down yet. Still getting over putting it UP !!

OzTent wasn't a problem. Side walls and front take a bit of time though. Attached photo of both in the backyard.

Image Could Not Be Found

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 623679

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 18:06

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 18:06
Malcolm

That’s one of things I like about what was called a ‘Minute Tent’.

They first came out twenty odd years ago. Lay it out, stick a pole in the middle then four pegs and it’s finished.

It’s no wonder the tourism operators are still using them after all this time.

Having said that, I’ve also purchased some useless contraptions (at least for me).

I installed a Glind shower in the car about five years ago.

Everything went well until one morning I was standing in the all together having a shower when this old couple came walking around the sand dunes (Strzelecki).

Following that I purchased one of those round shower tents that you let go, and bingo it’s up. The technique of folding the bloody thing back up again was beyond me! LOL.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 623726

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 18:59

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 18:59
LOL Kim

[ I purchased one of those round shower tents that you let go, and bingo it’s up ]

That's the sort that my wife thought we bought.

Ref the other one: I can now see her sitting on the throne holding the pole in the centre of the tent. :-)

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 623740

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 16:33

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 16:33
Hi Kim,
I've got to agree about at least trying the tent once before you leave home.

The key statement here, "(which is a piece of Chinese crap)" may be the great educator.

If you are lucky the tent will either be incomplete, leak like a seive or blow away in a budgies fart.

Then you can say what I say to my daughters when they come home with the immortal statement such as "Dad, I just learnt that cheap tents aren't worth the money" you can say with that look in your eye "I'll be buggered! Imagine that, what old fossil would have thought that?"

My 18 yo has lived long enough to now absolutey everything until it goes from theory to practice then you hear, "Daaaaaaaad!"

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 355707

Reply By: dublediff - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 22:23

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 22:23
Relaxxxxx, of all of the holidays I remember best, are the ones with greatest laughs from the many mistakes we made. The blankets left at home, the empty water tank, the tent without the poles...it goes on and on. Why deny your kids the fun of making their own way and learning from the experience. I'm sure we all have a kit bag full of stories such as these....
AnswerID: 355780

Sponsored Links