Buying a Van

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 23:36
ThreadID: 67095 Views:3923 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Am considering purchasing a Cambridge Caravan - Outback Trekker - Would appreciate comments from anybody that may own or have an opinion. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: D200Dug- Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 23:59

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 23:59
We are looking for a van to cope with outback roads and conditions do you have any more details on the "Outback trekker" ? I would like to have a look at them as well

cheers doug
AnswerID: 355566

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:20

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:20
Doug,

Try outback trekker

Would you envisage living out of this van or just doing smaller trips?

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 623622

Follow Up By: UKE - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:41

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:41
Hi Doug,

The van is made by Alpha Fibreglass fom Huntingfield in Tassie.- www.cambridgecaravans.com.au

My partner found a small adv in a magazine - I took a trip across from Vic to look at van - was impressed with construction process and finished product. Very basic & simple van. I going to have some further discussion re changing type of suspension.

Cheers

FollowupID: 623821

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:25

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:25
Uke,

This is a very broad question and the answer would depend upon what yu want to do with the van.

Is it for 'living' out of long term or just doing shorter trips etc.?

Where do you want to take the van?

What do you have to tow it with?

How much 'extra gear do you want to cart around with you when travelling??

What interests do you have whilst travelling? ie bushwalking, fossicking, diving, etc.

Any decent caravan manufacturer will ask you these and many more questions before settling on the right van.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 355612

Follow Up By: UKE - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:21

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:21
Hi Mark,

Thanks for response. Van would be for wandering Oz for periods of 2-3months at a time. Some soft off-road, some bush camping. Tow vehicle is 2007 Prado TD auto. never had a van before. Trying to make sure pick right van before spending cash. Have been across from Vic to Tassie to factory to inspect - was impressed with progress vans & finished project. Two concerns that I have is living on the mainland & buying a van from Tassie re; maintainance/warranty & type of suspension?
Don't want to tow anything too heavy or big - at 65yrs "young" are past campers etc. Would buy full annex to give extra space for longer periods of stay. Extra gear carried would be fishing gear, fold-up bike, and tools etc.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 623816

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:41

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:41
No worries,

I just thought that, looking at this van it may be a little small if 'living' out of it for any great length of time. We have been going through this at the moment, though I have a young family so need something bigger that this one.

Otherwise it looks like a fairly good option.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 623843

Sponsored Links