Roof Top Tent

Submitted: Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 14:23
ThreadID: 67110 Views:8591 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what we should do in regards to tents/swags for a 4 week trip we are taking from Canberra to Cape York. My husband and I are travelling with our 2 girls (12 months and 3yrs old) We currently have a Howling Moon Roof top tent which had served us well when it was just the 2 of us and also a bit when we only had 1 child. My husband wants to use the roof top tent and also get a double swag for the trip (one of us each with one of the girls in each). My issue is sleeping seperately for a month can't be the best for a marriage, also putting our 12 month old up in the roof top tent before we go to bed worries my a bit. My husbands biggest worry is the set up time at camp each night, which is why he doesn't want to take our big 3 room tent. I have been looking at pop up tents/60 second tents and want thoughts on how good they are. Also anything else that you might think is good advise for our trip.
Thanks
Lisa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tonbon - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 14:28

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 14:28
I dont really have any suggestions for what you should get as i am setting up a vehicle myself, but i may be interested in your old 2 man roof top tent if you want to sell it. Tony.
AnswerID: 355666

Follow Up By: smithln - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 15:06

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 15:06
Thanks Tony, I will keep you posted if we decide to sell (that would be my preferred option)
FollowupID: 623678

Follow Up By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 17:24

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 17:24
Hi Tonbon
We have a howling moon roof tent for sale - if interested please email me through the member page.
Regards
Jinki
Jinki & Harry enjoying !!!!!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 623703

Follow Up By: tonbon - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 14:31

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 14:31
Hi Jinki, thank you for your reply. I am unable to respond via member email as i am not as yet a full paid up member....yet. However, i would be interested in some details on the Howling Moon roof tent you have for sale. I can be contacted via email at tbonnice@gmail.com

Cheers, Tony
FollowupID: 623883

Follow Up By: Jacqlaire - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:34

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:34
Hi Jinki,
did you end up selling your roof top tent?
i am also not a full member so cannot view your profile but if it is still available would love to find out more info.
I can be contacted at jacquelinechloride@hotmail.com
thanks!
FollowupID: 627552

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 15:58

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 15:58
The thing to remember with a separate tent is the bedding is not included, like a swag, or stay's in the tent like your rooftop job, so it all becomes a bit bulky.
We use an Oztent and this means we also have to have mattresses (self inflating DMH types) and pillows etc stored separately. All adds to the bulk and the setup time, although we can be setup completely in about half an hour. That's the tent, complete with fly, beds unrolled, table setup and cooking tea/drinking a coldie. All the fast setup tents do not include setting up the fly in their advertised times, and that is a must IMO.

If you used this style of setup you can use a double mattress for mum & dad and a king single for the kids, one at each end.

All the bedding and the tent is carried on the roofrack.
AnswerID: 355687

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 16:18

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 16:18
Going to Cape york you might want to be in the roof-top tent? Just a thought.....
AnswerID: 355699

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 19:24

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 19:24
I wouldn't take a dome tent into the tropics, nowhere near enough ventilation.
We used a 9x9 touring (one pole 4 pegs) tent with three little ones for a few topend trips which worked well, easily fit two either side of the centre pole. Getting back on the ground after having a rooftop will be a pain though.
AnswerID: 355742

Reply By: Member - Paul W- Esq (VIC) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 20:43

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 20:43
As for the little one in the roof top they will be fine, we would stick our daughter in the tent at her bedtime, zips at the top and she could not get out. once passed out i put her over her section and all was good, i made a removable partion so we would not get kicked in the head by her.as for sleeping separately maybe shuffle around the arrangements occasionally?? 2 kids in the roof top with a temp lock on the zip to prevent escapes? you will be able to hear them if somethings amiss anyway thus leaving you and Hubby in the tent! and the Howling Moon is a brilliant Tent, had on myself until recently.some pics of it are in my Rig Pics.
AnswerID: 355760

Reply By: chisel - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 00:03

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 00:03
I'd suggest switching to a oztent or blackwolf. We have two young girls and it is very handy that both/either of us can reach over and help either kid in a second or two when they need attention. And no issues with having them up too high by themselves.

Only takes 5 mins to set one of these tents up - although as has been said, it takes another 5-10mins to do the bedding (longer if fighting kids are causing a distraction!).
AnswerID: 355797

Reply By: yakodi - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 13:31

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 13:31
Hi guys, have a look at the Ezy-Awn range, they do a great family roof top tent, weve just ordered a 2.2M - 5 man roof top for our young family 2 adults and 2 kids. It weighs a bit, about 100kg. They also do a 1.8M wide model which is also fine for 4 people, but we just thought that the extra space might be good for the shade it will provide once unfolded and if we are stuck somewhere in the rain. We are putting it on our offroad trailer currently being built up so the weight shouldn't be an issue.
AnswerID: 355866

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 14:43

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 14:43
hi smithin
A friend of mine had the same problem so he had 2 roof top tents . it worked very well when the children were very young
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 355873

Sponsored Links