Portable toilets

Submitted: Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 20:30
ThreadID: 67126 Views:3962 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, chasing some information on portable camping toilets and best chemical treatment, any ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roughasguts - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 20:43

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 20:43
I don't know about best toilet! but I have heard that using nappy san instead of the smelly chemical treatment works exactly the same. As it's the same active ingrediant in the nappy san as the smelly treatment, and after all if it cleans poo off nappys it's got to be good.
AnswerID: 355761

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 21:27

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 21:27
I just invested in a portapotti and attendant chemicals. It's not something that I'd carry under my normal travelling circumstances (a shovel, the $19 dunny seat from Rays and a box of matches being the best outback travelling option) but is a great option when camped for a few days or more. Usually there are two chemical options available, one being more environmentally friendly than the other. Usually colour coded and costing the same. If you check out the websits of the respective manafacturers, you should find plenty of info.Thetford Portapotti

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 355767

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 21:35

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 21:35
I hate those bloody seats Micko,unstable etc lol,Although i hav a Thetford but havnt taken it camping yet...I reckon the square one thats metal (i think) and folds into a square with wooden seat (cannot remember the bloody name)..You just hav to dig the hole too..Looks more stable and keeps the flies out etc...

Cheers
FollowupID: 623772

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 22:10

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 22:10
Mick those little plastic seats must be made for kids or those under endowed ;-)) way too small !!
I used the metal legs and made a wooden seat of normal size and it is much more comfortable. The missus reckons I should have just gone and bought a wooden seat from Bunnings, much quicker than making and shaping my own.
FollowupID: 623779

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 22:18

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 22:18
lol Warfer,

I must admit they are a bit dainty for a bloke my size but I've gained a whole new respect for the precision of the world war II bomb aimers !!! Know what it's like to thread the eye of a needle and all that. No wouldn't be without mine. Light-weight, easy and they come with a sand flag attachment so people in crowded locations (like the mouth of Durba Spring gorge) can see where you've set up.

Bombs away,

Mick.

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 623784

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 23:01

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 23:01
***easy and they come with a sand flag attachment so people in crowded locations (like the mouth of Durba Spring gorge) can see where you've set up. ***

LMAO that's funny Micko.. Hey wait till ya have a dose of the bleep es and make sure the seat is facing the gap from end to end,if you know what i mean lol not facing the supports,Like my last visit at Mayford Spur (sorry future campers) you could actually here my stomach churning over was in a real hurry for privacy...

Afterwards i had to throw the unit in the river for 1/2 hour...Missus said whats the dunny chair doing setup in the river,Oh thought I'd sit there and enjoy the serenity for a few minutes lol

Anyway enough of that..

Cheers Bud.
FollowupID: 623792

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 23:34

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 23:34
For your viewing pleasure, year three of the 19 buck dunny seat!
(and the saga of the burnt toilet at Durba - Bastards!)

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 623795

Follow Up By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 07:51

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 07:51
hi warfer.
I tbelieve the dunny is called the Thunder Box.
It is a great improvement over the plastic seat version.
Cheers.
Vince.
FollowupID: 623811

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:53

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:53
Quote: Afterwards i had to throw the unit in the river for 1/2 hour /endquote

Pity any swimmers and those without good water filters.
FollowupID: 623865

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 13:22

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 13:22
Vince and Warfer - it is Jimmy's Thunder Box

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

FollowupID: 623869

Follow Up By: grsjj5 - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 02:20

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 02:20
Thanks guys been a great help should make the kids happier. Been fun reading coments. Have a Great Easter break.
FollowupID: 624003

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:46

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:46
Thats the one,Good ol Jimmy...Can never remember that name for some reason...

Cheers
FollowupID: 624038

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:01

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:01
***I must admit they are a bit dainty for a bloke my size but I've gained a whole new respect for the precision of the world war II bomb aimers !!!****

It maybe about time you upgrade to the Jimmeys mate..lol

Image Could Not Be Found

Jimmeys
FollowupID: 624076

Reply By: Member - KC (TAS) - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 21:40

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 21:40
Hi grsjj5,, have a look here for chemical alternatives ThreadID: 66307 good luck.
AnswerID: 355772

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 21:57

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 21:57
Coles Napicare Plus and Woolworths Nappy Treatment Plus are the recommended products. These and the more expensive toilet specific product Bio Magic work by breaking down the residue. Safe and easy disposal which biodegrades quickly in the ground.

If you use chemicals, you will severely limit where you can dispose of the contents. These cannot be emptied into septic systems or pit toilets, as the chemical will stop the composting process. Dump points are few and far between in the outback. They work by 'pickling' the solids - the reverse of the environmentally safe products.

Camping stores should have information about the types they sell. Compare prices to internet discount stores. We have a built in Thetford in the caravan.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 355777

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 01:29

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 01:29
I have been told that tablets are the way to go; problem is, I don't remember the name of the tabs to use in the porta dunny. So if some one knows the name of the tabs and where to buy in darwin, I would appreciate the info (and I am sure that would help others too). Apparantly, they are safe to dump at dump points or dispose of by burying the refuse from your porta dunny.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 355806

Reply By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:25

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:25
G'day grsjj5,

I recently purchased a Thetford 365 porta potti and instead of using the chemicals that came with it I had heard about the Odour-B-Gone tablets so went off and bought a box. They aren't expensive.

I used them on a recent camping trip and to my surprise.....they work.
You place half a tablet in the waste holding tank and half in the water tank (for flushing) and they will last up to a week depending on usage of the toilet.
Absolutely no odour.
The tablets are environmentally friendly.

When I emptied out the water storage tank there was still part of the tablet there after 4 days.

I would thoroughly recommend them and they are much easier to take away over bottles of chemicals that could leak or puncture and stink out your storage area.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 355821

Reply By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 13:37

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 13:37
Lots of info on the caravaners forum:

here

We used Odor-B-Gone then looked into the napisan option - they are the same chemical with the nappysan a whole lot cheaper. Coles home brand seems to have the highest concentration of the active ingredient.

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

AnswerID: 355867

Reply By: Member - Robert G (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:49

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:49
Been using a 'Jimmy's Thunderbox now for the last year or so and its great. It folds flat for storage and we've had it set up for a group of 10+ several times and still going strong. For travel stops I still use the banjo and bury the evidence but as a camp site dunny, the thunderbox is great. A couple of tips for its use are;

1. after digging the hole, use wooden branches or some currugated iron with a hole in it or whatever is around to strengthen the base where the dunny sits.
2. line the thunderbox with a garbage bag with the bottom cut out
3. drop a litre of diesel in the hole each arvo followed by a bit of paper on fire to burn off the waste and keep the pong & flies down
4. painting the MDF lid will make it easier to keep clean.
AnswerID: 356078

Sponsored Links