Travelling to Lake Eyre North from Adelaide

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 00:14
ThreadID: 67135 Views:5400 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are keenly watching out for any information on Lake Eyre filling & hope to travel there at Easter. Unsure as to travel North from Marree to Muloorina, which would take us to the bottom of North Lake or travel NE out from William Creek also to north lake. If anyone has had any experience in this area, could you pls let us know best way to get near the lake. regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 07:34

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 07:34
The best way or the quickest?

The quickest way is up the bitumen to Coober Pedy, then out the William Creek track to William Creek.
From there you can drive out to Halligan Bay to view the Lake.
It's a great drive whether the Lake is wet or dry at that spot.
Halligan Bay claims the lowest point below sea level in Australia.

Then you could drive along the Oodnadatta Track towards Marree and drive out to Muloorina if you wish.

This would give you two chances and provide a good round trip, road conditions allowing of course.

There is also the option of a plane flight from William Creek with WrightsAir.

Expect many travellers at this time, but the caravan park at W.C. should be able to cope.

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 355812

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:37

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:37
The two access points for the lake present very different landscapes. You are more likely to see water at Halligans Bay but don't hold your breath. I found the access from Muloorina very interesting from the historical perspective. A man named Campbell took a car called the Bluebird there in the early 60's

We drove out to both access points in 2001 when their was a lot of media hipe obout the lake filling and the amazing bird life.

We did see water but I felt sorry for all those I saw carrying boats and as for the bird life, we saw 2 crows.

It was a great trip and I would do it again but don't believe all you see in the media about a full lake.

Duncs
AnswerID: 355829

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:08

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:08
We are headed that way with our 4 Corners Explorer, to see the water in May. As we are unlikely to see water from the shore, we will be flying out from William Creek, but camping at Muloorina. The campsite on the bore at Muloorina is a great spot, if a bit of a drive to the lake shore, but well worth it in my view. The word is the water level i the lake should peak in about 6 weeks. I don't expect you will see much from the shores, but a flight would be worth it.
AnswerID: 355839

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 15:28

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 15:28
Jamie Durie did a segment for Ch 7 Sunday night show and the lake looked to be well and truly full and people had boats and yachts on it so you must be able to drive to the shores.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 355882

Reply By: RobAck - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 19:09

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 19:09
If you are wanting a flight give Trevor Wright at William Ck a call to see how busy they are as plane availability may be an issue during the peak season. But I can guarantee that the flight is the only way to experience Lake Eyre full

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 355926

Sponsored Links