Lake Monduran Qld at Easter

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:20
ThreadID: 67138 Views:4036 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am hoping to go to Lake Monduran at easter time with my two sons (18 and 16).
I will be taking a camper trailer and tinnie.
A couple of questions I would like to put to the forum is:-
- Can I camp close to a fishing spot?
- Would I be very lucky to actually find a spot with every man and his dog going to be there?

Thanks

Honky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:13

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:13
Hi Honky - Lake Monduran has a Kiosk/admin, very good amenities, excellent camp kitchen, and a large grassed area for camping, and even a small area with powered sites. Bird feeding areas in the middle of the camp area.
It WILL be VERY crowded over Easter. Get there early if you can.

A bitumen road leads to the main boat ramp - about 1 klm from the camping area. This is adjacent to the dam wall.
You can climb down the wall, and fish at the base, but a boat is a necessity on Monduran.

During the drought years (around 2004-08), they suspended the stocking program, as the water levels dropped very low. The catfish survived - and bred up very well - big (huge), black and hungry. It may take a few years for the Barra numbers to build back.

There is a 4WD track ( with a locked gate) that leads into part of the park (eg you can access the ridges of the flooded valley). Ask at the Kiosk if a key is available.
Used to be able to camp there - right on the waters edge - but they no longer allow it.

Perhaps ask the locals if there are tracks that give access to the back of the dam.

Gin Gin is the town just before Monduran. Cafe in middle of town has brilliant pies (for example Garlic Prawn etc - yes - Pies) and fresh crab sandwiches. Just out of town is a large, grassed, free camp area where they set up the Driver Reviver each year.

Monduran is a very nice place - but crowded on public holidays. Fortunately the dam is large - so you can find a secluded valley with lots of snags, to try your luck - (take plenty of lures - you will lose them).
As you probably know - 40 lb line with 60lb trace - nothing smaller.........Keith
AnswerID: 355841

Reply By: Honky - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:38

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:38
Thanks Keith,

A wealth of information.

Honky
AnswerID: 355849

Reply By: deserter - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 16:01

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 16:01
Join ausfish.com.au and ask all your Monduran questions or search their forum. There is a wealth of information. This post from a couple days ago will wet your appetite.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=147508
AnswerID: 355888

Reply By: Scott C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 20:54

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 20:54
Hi Honky

You will need a trailer for the tinnie or a way to get it to the ramp and back, the ramp is about about a km away from the camp area, you can leave it in the water once launched (at your risk).

Make sure you ring and book at spot, they may be fully booked.

Cheers Scott
AnswerID: 355949

Sponsored Links