Free camping at Gregory Downs

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:45
ThreadID: 67139 Views:11008 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading to Lawn Hill NP during winter with caravan in tow, and plan to leave the van at Gregory Downs, before going into the NP. We have heard conflicting stories about free camping at Gregory Downs and would appreciate if someone could help us out with what is available.

Rossy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Barry - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:02

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:02
When I up that way, we always stay at Kingfisher Camp on Bowthorn Station. Grassed, shady sites and toilets/showers, near the Nicholson River. It's not free, but IMHO it is one of the best camp spots in this great country! To get there, just follow the signs from Adel's Grove to "KFC".
Good luck,
Barry

AnswerID: 355835

Follow Up By: philip t jones - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:31

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:31
I agree about Kingfisher, But not handy to Lawn hill and would depend on off rd Van and tug.

Regards Phil
FollowupID: 623847

Reply By: Member - Bob C (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:06

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:06
We were through there last July and free camped down on the river,a very popular and pretty spot.Seemed like a lot of people leave the van there and drive to Lawn Hill. Alternately there is a van park behind the pub.When we were there it was full on with road works to Century mine so may be worth enquiring about taking the van in all the way.A wonderfull spot well worth the visit.Hope this can help you
Cheers Bob
AnswerID: 355838

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:06

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:06
Thanks Bob
Is the century mine is on the way to Adels Grove
Regards
Rossy
FollowupID: 624077

Follow Up By: Member - Bob C (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 15:37

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 15:37
Hi Rossy
Yes Century mine is on the way to Adels Grove and if the road is in reasonable condition you should be ok with your outfit as quiet a few on road vans seem to go in.Inqiries at Gregory River will probably answer that, or phone Adels Grove or Lawn hill for an update.Probably the best info will be obtained at the river camp
Cheers and safe travelling
FollowupID: 624348

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:09

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:09
My understanding and experience in seeing them, is that people leave their vans in the riverbed behind the pub and drive on to Lawn Hill.
I spoke to someone at Lawn Hill who had done it and was quite unworried about vandalism, theft etc.

When I went through last August there were about 15 or so there.
Wouldn't want to rain though.

Its all informal AFAIK.

Regard sPhilip A
AnswerID: 355840

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 13:26

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 13:26
If you only have a an off road camper , you could go down the Camooweal road 22.3 Ks from the turn off in Gregory ,
it is a great spot to camp,

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 355864

Reply By: wendys - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 22:55

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 22:55
What sort of rig do you have? I have worked in the area and know that all sorts of outfits make it as far as Adels Grove camp area. Have seen big motor homes, ordinary Jayco type vans, older type vans all there. Locals from Mt Isa go there in ordinary cars, via Gregory. It is such a great area that you really do not want to be pressured into having to return to a left van, because you will probably finish up wanting to stay longer than you think you will.
It has been a big wet up that way, this year, so presume the Gregory Lawn Hill road will be graded, once open. You just need to drive patiently. Have seen a lot of travellers up that way drive too fast, then they come to a dip, slam on the brakes, vehicle goes down hard, tyres flatten a bit and next thing they have stone through tread - and then complain about the roads. Those who "live" in those areas do not get flat tyres!
Another post mentioned Bowthorn and Kingfisher Camp. I would not recommend trying to go there from Lawn Hill unless you have a proper offroad rig. The blacksoil sections along that track can cut up really badly when wet, with station traffic on them, and are not as regularly graded as the Adels-Gregory road, so they can stay quite rough.
AnswerID: 355994

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:10

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:10
Thanks Wendys.
Diesel Pathfinder pulling a beefed up (Not off road) standard 21ft Concept van. The thought was to leave the van at Gregory's then perhaps stay at Adels for a couple of nights. Obviously if the road is ok we would take the van into Adels.

Regards
Rossy
FollowupID: 624078

Sponsored Links