This is one time I couldn’t make a decision

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 21:58
ThreadID: 67165 Views:3078 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday

My recent back injury changed my life more than I could have imagined. First was the realization that I would have to sell the camper trailer and find a substitute. Then some worry about work.

Over the last couple of months I’ve Google, and probably made over a hundred phone calls to manufacturers, dealers and acquaintances. In the end it always comes back to:

1. What will it be used for, and

2. Am I capable moving it, setting it up etc.

At the end of the day, it’s give and take. You get benefits from one design over the other, but in doing so, loose something in the process.

The final decision came down to the Pioneer Argyle SE or the Goldstream Crown. The latter has more features than my house!

For the life of me I couldn’t make a decision, then sat down one night and concentrated on what I enjoy, rather than fit for purpose. That’s when the decision was made in favour of the Pioneer.

There is a bit of misery attach to this I might add. Once you start adding options, the eyeballs start to rock around in their sockets as the price goes through the bloody roof!!!

The deal will be done early next week and I’ll revert to something resembling a balanced human being.

Another couple of points I’d like to make for those thinking about the purchase of a camper trailer:

1. Purchase the highest quality product you can afford. I can’t stress this enough.

2. If you don’t have confidence in the dealer to support the guarantee, walk away.

3. Only select the options you really need.

4.Check those small things: will it fit in the garage, can I open the rear door of the car with the trailer attached.

5. Ask the dealer or seller to stand back and allow you to open up the trailer and repack it.

Hope this helps some folks with their buying decisions.

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gaz@Gove (NT) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 22:32

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 22:32
Kim, I agree totally with your comments. We went in another direction with quality of manufacturers but for different reasons. ( 3 weddings in under 3 years makes a Pioneer Camper Trailer into something less) But we are still happy with what we have, it has done us well over 10,oook so far, but we are looking to upgrade to something better after we recuperate after the last wedding in June. hehe hopefully by June 2010 - :) )
Good decision.
Gaz
Mmmmmmmm, now where do we go next?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 355982

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 22:46

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 22:46
We have a Pioneer Argyle that we are happy with, after a side fold hard floor ( Track Eagle) it takes a bit of getting used to the lack of storage space.

I agree with your comment about buying the best that you can afford, I also think that if the budget won't stretch to new, it is better to buy a second hand quality brand over a run of the mill new camper.
AnswerID: 355989

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 23:22

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 23:22
Kim,
I own a Pioneer Argyle SE camper trailer and I can tell you that you will have no regrets buying one. Ihave been to Cape York and last year around Tassie and can highly reccomend this camper.It has had a very good test over some very rough country and the only problem I had was the stupid plastic tap to the slide out kitchen which was replaced twice. That has now been replaced ( factory fitted) by a stainless tap of good quality. Very quick to set up and fold away and most importantly in my circumstance----TOTALLY dust proof.If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
AnswerID: 355998

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 23:32

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 23:32
Gidday Rambler

Yes I looked at that and thought it was a bit of a dud given the price of the trailer. I''ll take it up with the dealer next week.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 623992

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 23:38

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 23:38
Kim if I had a place to store it I'd by a Pioneer in a flash. Intend to hire one for the Australasia safari that me and a mate are doing. The 60sec set up time is a seller in my books and the robust constructionis hard to beat.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 356001

Reply By: austastar - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:35

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:35
Looks like quite a weapon Kim. I'm sure you will be pleased with it, and it will give you many happy trips.
cheers
AnswerID: 356049

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:44

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:44
goodday kim
we are currently in moe before moving down to kids farm tomorrow
my word of warning make sure you are completely happy with the dealer before even handing over a deposit the dealer is the only thing that has spoilt the purchase of our new windsor last november
make sure they will give you what YOU want not just say they will and then ahh sorry factory to busy to do this or that
our dealer was just down the road from you towards frankston

steve

ps milk went stale while touring around
AnswerID: 356072

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 14:11

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 14:11
Gidday Steve

How are you going? From the little bit that I’ve read, it sounds as though you had a very good trip. When you’re down this way next give me a ring on 97821701 and we’ll have a beer.

Couldn’t agree with you more regarding dealers. I had a bad experience with one in Frankston and he’s lucky not to have a bent nose after inferring I wasn’t telling the truth.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 624109

Reply By: LeanneW - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:21

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:21
Hi Kim,
I know what you are going through - we just ordered our very first camper trailer less than a week ago. We went with an Aussie Swag - we were very impressed with the customer service, and they were only too happy to let me have a go putting it up myself.
At the end of the day, I realised that you can't get everything you want in one trailer, so as you said, focus on what you enjoy and also only select the options you really need. Options such as annexes can be put on later down the track once you decide you need them.
Happy travels!
Leanne
AnswerID: 356077

Reply By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 13:52

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 13:52
Point 4:

"Check those small things: will it fit in the garage..."

We skipped that one when we bought our new van.

We had sold a Jayco dove which fitted through the car port just fine and knowing that a pop top had lived there previously (The previous owners of our house had to lift the car port 6" all round to fit their pop top through.) we thought that height would not be a problem, but still checked it before we handed over the $.

... but we did not check width!

The Isalnd Star was nearly 8" wider than the Jayco and fits through with only 1" clearance either side. I have to be really careful to line it up straight and not to wipe off running lights on the RHS or the roll out awnig on the left.

But it does fit - just.

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 356100

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:34

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:34
G'day Kim
"This is one time I couldn’t make a decision"
Yes you could, and did :-)
Cheers from The Moose
AnswerID: 356334