Old Glen Innes Rd

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 22:59
ThreadID: 67168 Views:2874 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking at spending the Easter long weekend around the Old Glen Innes Rd area. If any members could give me some tips on things to see? Also is it possible to camp any where along the road by the river?

Cheers David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 00:15

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 00:15
Mann river camp is a lovely place to stay ( and see )
You will find nearly all the camping along the river has been stopped ( signs up every where )
AnswerID: 356005

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 17:40

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 17:40
Hi
I may be wrong, but I believe Mann rv camping has also been closed. Would pay to check before you head alll that way
FollowupID: 624152

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 00:41

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 00:41
Hi witchdoctor,
There is a national park camping area at Dalmorton, it is nice can swim etc. have a look at the old buildings in the township, check out the road tunnel built by convicts, take a drive up to Chelundi national park, drive over to Nymbodia, we drove up there at the weekend and people were camping at Buccurumbi by the river the only signs we could see wer relating to no fishing when the river is closed for bass fishing
hope this helps
barb
AnswerID: 356008

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:11

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:11
I think that may be the only spot that didn't have a no camping allowed sign..
Was it the spot not far upstream from the bridge ??

From there all the way up to Mann river camp, I didn't see any spots down by the river that didn't have a sign ..

Will get back up there soon ( but not in holiday time )
FollowupID: 624068

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 19:03

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 19:03
+1 for Dalmorton...... We have led club trips there over the last couple of years and it's a really nice spot. Theres a bit to see and do in the immediate area!

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 624164

Reply By: cycadcenter - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:38

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:38
There's a camp ground as someone else mentioned which has good facilities and well used, I would say it will be full over easter so I would check with NPWS.

Although I'm an Aussie who lives in San Diego we go in there at least once a year to monitor the Macrozamia johnsonii (cycad) populations. you will see them along the road on the Grafton side of Dalmorton, also if you go across the bridge at Dalmorton that road goes right through to the Ebor Road which is a great drive.

I think there are more campsites up in the NP there.

It can get cold up in there at night even in April.

Enjoy your trip.

Bruce
San Diego CA
AnswerID: 356009

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:47

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:47
Check out places Witchdoctor, I have just uploaded four images I have of that area as there was only one there. Not much but it will give you some idea, I am unsure of whether or not there are showers available but somehow I think there are.

The road in from Grafton is narrow in places and is a pretty steep climb out to Glen Innes (we travelled that area in the dark) and Fiona was navigating with adverse commentary about my driving tactics, but I don't think it's too bad at all really.

Enjoy your trip.
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 356053

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 19:07

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 19:07
It's a great trip! We have done the road three times over the last couple of years, always west-to-east. The picnic ground at Mann River Nature reserve is picturesque, the road is easy to drive and, like mentioned above, Dalmorton is a nice spot o camp. Toilets there, no showers. There is a river beside the camp and it's really nice to relax in even if a little cold. You will also drive through the Convict Tunnell, must have been quite a feat for the convicts to have cut that tunnel through!

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 356146

Follow Up By: Numpty S - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 09:16

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 09:16
Mann River is a lovely place to camp and was still open in November.

Common misconception re the tunnel as it was not built by convicts at all but by lowly paid labourers. There are information boards at Mann River which explain the building of the road and how the area opened up.
FollowupID: 624566

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:53

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:53
When researching for our club trips over the last few years, I noted that it's about 50/50 whether it was built by convicts or contractors..... some reputable web sites state each version. But personally I don't care who built it, although I prefer to think of it as a Convict Tunnel.... adds a bit of "Bushranger" to the place IMO....

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 624695

Sponsored Links