Dual battery system for a GU patrol

I am thinking of putting a dual battery system in my 98 gu td patrol, to run a fridge and some lights,I was wondering if if anyone has some tips for setups and obstacles I might encounter.there does not seem to be a lot of room under the bonnet.

Jim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Broe - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 18:22

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 18:22
I have a mate with a GU and he managed to get it under the bonnet. The other place worth looking at is under one of the seats but you would probably have to lay it down hence go for an acid matt battery. He used an optima battery which has quick recharge time and very stable regardless of position. No maintenance and is a "dry" battery. Read the thread about a couple of dozen before this one titled "3 way or 12/240 fridge" I have gone on a little about the battery there as well. As mentioned I am about to put some specs up.

In regards to setup, I find the best way is to utilise a solenoid so that when the car is off, the fridge and anything else is only running off of the 2nd battery, leaving you the safety of not touching your primary. If you have it hooked into something that only turns on when your ignition is on (I used the wipers) then when your car is running, both batteries are connected and charging. You can also put a switch on these if you need to use both to crank the engine given an emergency situation.

I would recommend nothing smaller than an 80amp.

Good luck,

Broe
AnswerID: 356139

Reply By: Best Off Road - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 20:21

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 20:21
Jim,

Under bonnet is too hard.

Get yourself an AGM battery that is safe inside the car. Get an electronic Isolator (Redarc are great). Get some thick cable and a couple of Anderson Plugs. Also you will need a circuit breaker, battery box and some female Merit plugs.

Very easy to install. If you're in Melbourne pop in and see me, I'll show you how it is done.

All up you'll be out of it for about $750. That does not include my fee, which is free.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 356168

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ [wa] - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:11

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 19:11
Jim,
I believe a Redarc is just a smart "Mechanical Solenoid" and drops ~0.6v

Electronic isolators (Rotronics etc) will only drop ~0.05v

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 624680

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:45

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:45
Mainey,

Dunno WTF it is but it works for me.

Jim.

FollowupID: 624707

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ [wa] - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 21:47

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 21:47
Jim,
If you read Greybeard's Solenoid thread:-> observations about Redarc Isolator
he states: "the current drain of the actuated solenoid being around the 0.8 Amp mark"

His thread also has lots of "Mechanical Solenoid" information, all written by the owners/users of them.

However, *electronic charge isolators* like Piranha, Rotronics and also many others, don't have the same large Voltage loss associated with their use, with many electronic charge isolators being in the vicinity of just 0.05 Volt loss, ~20 times less than mechanical solenoids.
But yes, they are more expensive to buy, but the long term benefit is longer battery life with batteries receiving higher charge rates, due to their much lower Voltage loss.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 624722

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 22:10

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 22:10
Mainey,

I don't profess to understand the whole electrical system.

For me, if my aux batt approaches 12.0 volts I charge it. Sometimes solar, sometimes generator.

For me the bush is about enjoying the bush. 12 volt power is only something to help me enjoy the bush.

FollowupID: 624724

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 20:35

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 20:35
Isnt hard at all You can get the battery tray from ARB for about $103.

Get a Redarc and wiring from Derek on here and an afternoons work will do it.
Did my 2003 GU no trouble at all.

AnswerID: 356173

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 20:38

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 20:38
Cost me 140 for the Redarc and got the wiring from the local Battery world Shop Put a N70 Extreme in when on special for $87
Total cost was about $350 ALL UP.

FollowupID: 624192

Follow Up By: Keith_A (Qld) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 09:46

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 09:46
Looks like Jim is about spot on then - To Grahams $350 add the extra for the AGM battery (say extra $300); plus battery case/holder; 50amp cut-out on second battery output; plus connectors for ends of cable; and heat shrink tubing to make the whole job look professional.

The AGM are good, but quality and convenience comes at a high price.........................Keith
FollowupID: 624264

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:58

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:58
All up included all that except the AGM Jees you dont buy the cable without the ends.
And it was all nice and tidy
All Cable tied up nice

FollowupID: 624336

Follow Up By: Keith_A (Qld) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 18:07

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 18:07
Sorry for the way is came across Graham - didn't mean to suggest yours wasnt a top job - my bad wording....keith
FollowupID: 624393

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 18:50

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 18:50
Thats OK didnt think you were Was just pointing out it was for all the bits.
Is quite easy to put the tray in the engine bay. all you have to do is shift a bracket for the power steering resevoir and attach it to the tray. All the holes are there just bolt it in.

Cheers
PS I used a whole packet of cable ties on the cruiser. Got as many wires as a 747.
LOL
FollowupID: 624412

Reply By: Luke SA - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 22:05

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 22:05
I put my second battery in the right hand corner against the fire wall in my patrol. Mine is a DX so there is nothing there, only those vacuum canisters which the brackets were modified into the battery tray.

The ST Patrol has the ABS or cruise control modulator in that corner so you could put the battery near the coolant reservoir.

As for the solenoid I just used a basic no-frills one. Does what you mentioned and with the heavier 6mm cable to the rear.

If you would like to see some pics send me an email to LUKECAREENatPRIMUSONLINEdotCOMdotAU

Cheers Luke
AnswerID: 356458

Reply By: Pezza (Bris) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 14:01

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 14:01
A lot of advice on where to stick it under the bonnet without anybody actually knowing which motor is in the GU, 4.2 or 2.8 ? The battery mounts in different spots and requires different mounting trays, both available from ARB or TJM.

Which is it Jim ?

Other than that dillemna the advice to ring and have a chat with Derek from ABR, who advertises on this site, is probably the best bit of advice so far.

Cheers
Pezza

AnswerID: 356580

Reply By: jimbg - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 18:56

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 18:56
Thanks for all the advice,yes I did fail to mention that it is a 2.8. I live in Adelaide so I will have to get the work done here.
I appreciate all the feedback.I will post here when I have done the job.

Jim
AnswerID: 356628

Reply By: Goosecat - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 13:12

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 13:12
I'm no expert but I like my dual set-up.
I already had a fridge and raps kit sitting on my space cab bench behind my seat, but all campers have a fridge and a raps kit or something similar don't they?
I have a mate who runs a batt supply business who supplied me with a 130ah deep cycle maintenance free U.S battery manufacturing company batt and dual outlet carry box with handle for under $300.00. The batteries are supposedly endorsed by the U.S military.
It sits on the floor behind my seat wedged between the seat and the space cab bench in it's box.
I converted the Waeco supplied male/female extension to a male/male extension and plug on end into the raps kit and the other into the battery box. Another Waeco supplied cable then runs from the box to my fridge.
Effectively power flows from my main batt to the raps kit, then to the second battery, then to the fridge. When the car is driving I'm charging both batts and when the car is switched off the fridge only runs off the second batt thanks to the raps kit solenoid.
I can remove the second batt and place it anywhere around camp as a power source with two outlets if I desire or just leave it set up in car. I can remove when I get home (although it's a bit heavy) or not ,whatever I choose.
Between that, my main batt and a 25A/H jumpack I take everywhere as backup I have enough power to run a 60L fridge and camp lights for 4 or 5 days with no recharge. I never stay in one spot without power longer then that without driving/touring recharging anyway and I have a cheap 240V charger( doesn't everyone?) that stays in the car to use at caravan sites. Any longer and I reckon you'd need solar as would anyone, even if they had a really expensive dual setup. Of course there is still the further backup of just starting your car and charging if you want. We all take spare fuel on long off-road trips right?
My set-up cost me $300.00 and is totally portable, yet secure.
Everyone who has seen it makes the same comments.
So simple, so cheap and so effective.
4 years so far and no hiccups (touch wood).

AnswerID: 360334

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 15:12

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 15:12
Easiest tip.

Go to ARB or Opposite Lock and buy the whole kit including battery and get them to install same.

There is an Opposite lock 2nd battery kit under the bonnet of my ST GU Patrol 4.2TD
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 360346

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 18:59

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 18:59
Only if you want to pay outrageous prices.
Eg an ARB isolator is about $250 for a start A redarc is half that. Easy to buy the tray and do as I said early in this thread Easy as in a 2.8 Miles of room and easy to do..

FollowupID: 628190

Reply By: jimbg - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 21:22

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 21:22
Thanks for all the replies.

What I ended up doing was getting pre made kit from 4wd systems,it included everything brackets,wiring,tray etc and a good battery for $500.
The instructions were a little vague but a mate and I got it all done in a couple of hours.it fits neatly under the bonnet,I havent given it a good workout yet,but we have a couple of trips planned for May and July,so I'm hoping all goes well.

Jim
AnswerID: 361368

Sponsored Links