Flinders Ranges Feedback

Where is the best camping between Camel Gap and Wealthy King Mine? We have a camper trailer so need a fairly flat area with no perma pine railings in the way.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:09

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:09
Not quite sure that you fully understand the tearraiin and topography of the Flinders Ranges. Might pay for you too obtain some tourist brochures from Tourism SA and do some research. You won't find too many perma pine logs 'growing' there as it's far 'too dry'. As for 'quality' camping spots in that area, Arkaroola is the only one. Other than that anywhere you like. Check this link for additional info Camel Gap to Wealthy King Mine
AnswerID: 356283

Reply By: RobAck - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 18:46

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 18:46
You are not saying what route you are taking so very hard to reply however in a general sense the following applies:

- the road from Copely to Balcanoona is surrounded by pastoral land and aboriginal land so there is no camping. The locals are getting pretty annoyed with travellers leaving rubbish behind so don't tempt fate

- great camping and a wonderful experience if you choose to stay at Iga Warta but book ahead as it is very popular with international tourists

- the Gammon Ranges has plenty of camping but you need to book in and get a permit from DEH at Balcanoona

- camping at Arkaroola is controlled and rightly so in a sanctuary

The Copely road is a tyre shredder depending on weather, road condition, tyre pressures etc so take it easy

- I can almost guarantee you won't find any perma pine camp sites but the rocky ones are definitely a certainly

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 356394

Sponsored Links