Darlng River run flies and skeeters

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:23
ThreadID: 67217 Views:1985 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
We are planning this trip in early May, and would appreciate information on anticipated flying insect activity.
We suffered April flies and bugs around Birdsville last year, and would like to know what to anticipate, and whether to take an insect proof gazebo for cooking etc.
Sleeping n the insect proof camper trailer is fine, just food prep and sitting around the riverbanks/lakes in the evening can be a drama without protection.
Cheers and thanks in anticipation.
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: austastar - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:49

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:49
We keep fly hats in the van, never know when they will be needed.
cheers
AnswerID: 356306

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:28

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:28
G'day Ian
Can't provide a specific answer and I doubt that anyone else can. Flying insect activity is very much subject to weather - what is currently happening and what has recently happened. So what the situation was with bugs last May could be totally different this year.
I'd suggest you take your gazebo JIC. You'll be pretty pi$$ed if someone said, nah mate none at that time of year, and then the place was a bug war zone :-)
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 356332

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 18:45

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 18:45
G/day Brushmarx,Last year we spent 4 weeks doing the Edwards and Darling rivers in August-September,we travelled on the East side till Tilpa then crossed,spent a few days at Trilby station, then crossed to the East side again at Louth.The flies were bad all the way from Pooncarie,generallythe flies are worst in spring and autumn out that way so take the gazebo,mozzies weren`t too bad. The East side is closer to the river most of the way, It is a good trip if you can take your time

regards Keith C
AnswerID: 356391

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 22:22

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 22:22
Did the Darling River run last July, hardly saw a fly and no mozzies.
As Kieth says above, weather changes all, it was bloody cold when we went that way and everything was as dry as.

Considering the rain they had up that way and surface water that laid around I would take the gazebo for sure and throw a couple of Coleman brand fly veils in as well, just to be on the safe side.

Ian
FollowupID: 624506

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 00:11

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 00:11
Ian, every now and again there is a mention in the papers or on the radio of Ross River fever and various places along the Darling and the Murray are mentioned.
I would not think you will have any trouble, but if you are susceptible to mozzies, have some repellent.

If it was a huge problem, everyone in the towns along both rivers would be either dead or very sick I reckon, but maybe it's a bit like the cancer warnings, 'if you do this or eat that you may get cancer'.

I don't think the flies will be a problem at that time of the year.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 356486

Sponsored Links