Video from WA for those that have not been here :)

Submitted: Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 09:28
ThreadID: 67247 Views:3235 Replies:12 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
I thought I would put a couple of video's up for people to have a look at, who have not had the chance to get over to explore Western Australia.

The first is some footage of The Bungle Bungles in Purnululu National Park and the second is of Windjana Gorge.

All video was shot by myself and Tracy on out trip around WA last year. Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Richard

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bushpig - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:01

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:01
Hi Richard
Wow great vid and another Loreena McKennitt fan.
Cheers jack
AnswerID: 356543

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:05

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:05
Thyanks Jack. I am only the vehicle, Tracy does the bulk of the creative stuff with video and music. I just carry the camera and tripod and various bags....LOL.

Surprised that someone else knows of Loreena McKennitt as she does not appear too well known here.

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 624581

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:31

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:31
Outstanding Tracy

I've got all the gear. Sony HD camera and the Sony editing software, but it's the software I can't get my head around.

Tracy you could do a lot worse than get a few of us local thickheads in a classroom and teach us the basics. If we ended up being able to put together a DVD like yours, you could charge whatever you liked....

Serious.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 356546

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 13:02

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 13:02
Hey there. She is a wizard at this kind of stuff. It is an area that I choose to stay right away from, as I would end up throwing the PC out of the window or something I reckon.

You have to have the patience of a saint to do this video editing stuff. Just shooting the video is frustrating enough. We (She as I am just the water boy) are currently shooting two music videos around perth. One for an African woman and the other for a local band. Just something different to experience I guess, rather than just shooting vids of her own music.

Personally I reckon she could probably make something of what she does, but as always she thinks otherwise :)

I am sure she will have a comment on the "teaching" side of things when she eventually reads this thread.

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 624599

Follow Up By: Desertrose - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 14:30

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 14:30
Where abouts here in WA are you?
I wouldn't mind at all showing you the basics of how to work Sony Vegas. I presume that's the editing program you have?
It's really not that hard to learn how to use Vegas. I really only know the basics myself as there is a whole lot MORE to learn than what I have already - but it's all I need right now for clips like these.
The tricky part is having the right computer set up - and Richard would be the one to speak to about that!
High definition video is a very HUNGRY beast so you need a super duper computer to handle it.

Anyway, send Richard a message if you like and maybe we can help you get started with the video stuff.

Tracy
FollowupID: 624611

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 00:11

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 00:11
Message sent, thanks Tracy
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 624738

Follow Up By: Desertrose - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 00:21

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 00:21
Got it :)
Richards going to send you our phone number so we can have a chat.

Tracy
FollowupID: 624741

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:38

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:38
Really good Richard, well done to Tracy.
The kids seemed to enjoy the trip also.

I watched a few others on her Vimeo site also, The 80's Girl was funny particularly the bit about no Hubby's being harmed during the making of this film. :-))

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 356548

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 13:05

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 13:05
Hi John

Yes, that was the first clip that we experimented with. I think that things have progressed somewhat since that one...LOL

The kids did have a ball on the trip. Its such a pity that as they become older teenagers their interest in camping wanes somewhat. having said that we now have the 18 year old wanting to come on a trip with us, but only for a weekend as any longer than that and she would be having "electronic screen" & mobile phone withdrawel syndrome.

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 624601

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:34

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:34
Richard,

One of the more refreshing threads I have seen on here for quite a while. Thank you for sharing.

Well done Tracy...

Cheers
Michael
AnswerID: 356559

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 13:06

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 13:06
Thanks Michael. She does a great job of things like this I reckon.

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 624602

Reply By: Rolly - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:37

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:37
Beautiful stuff Tracy.
Great education for your billy lids. Better than it is even possible to do in the schoolroom.
I will get out there soon, I will get out there soon, I will get out there soon............
AnswerID: 356565

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:56

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:56
Rolly

Pity that their teachers didnt feel the same way. They were quite upset at us taking them out of school for 6 weeks to do the trip.

having said that though, the kids did film their own documentary and Tracy put that together for them to take into the classroom. From what we can gather the teachers were somewhat hesitant to play 35 minutes of "home video" footage to the class and were expecting I think your typical home footage.

needless to say they were absolutely blown away by the quality of what the kids had done, even to the point of suggesting that we somehow try and get it into the education department for viewing by all schools, etc.

Unfortunately it is somewhat too long at 35 minutes to have on Vimeo so cant be shown here......

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 624597

Reply By: Mandrake - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:43

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:43
Really great to be able to see where I am going soon !!

Thanks for sharing

Rgds

Mandrake
AnswerID: 356567

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:58

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:58
Mandrake

There is loads more. We shot something like 60 hours of video on the trip and she is only now getting around to the editing process. very very time consuming and frustrating I have to say. Keep an eye out on her vimeo site. As she does further segments they will be posted on there.

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 624598

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 13:08

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 13:08
Richard and Tracy
Only one word can be said about your work "BRILLIANT"
You must be both very proud of your great work. Keep them coming here on the forum, you will get yourself a real audience.

Well Done

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 356573

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 13:40

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 13:40
Hi,

Truly amazing!!!! we are so looking forward to seeing WA even more so now.

Thank You

Matt Caroline & Kids
AnswerID: 356579

Reply By: Desertrose - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 14:24

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 14:24
Thanks so much for all the encouraging comments!
I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to putting some clips together.
When we got back I immediately set to work on editing the kids documentary as I wanted to show the teachers just WHY we took them out of school for six weeks.
Shai and Jackson, aged 12 and 9 at the time did such a great job of filming with "their" camera. At times their enthusiasm for filming flagged a bit (it's tiring just being OUT there!) but with some encouragement we kept them going and it was WELL worth it!
When we got home they did all the narration themselves as well and I was so pleased to find bits of footage that they had narrated on camera also - which I didn't know about.
Just added that unique "from a kids perspective" angle to the whole trip.
It IS up on my vimeo site.....I had to separate it into four parts, so three parts are up there at the moment.The fourth is waiting to be uploaded and I'll have to wait till Monday to do that as I've used all my available upload space for the week. :)
If you've got kids and are planning these kinds of trips I would LOVE it if you would take the time to watch it!
it's very candid and very "real" lol!
Get your kids to watch it too - they will see just how much fun it is out "in the desert"! (Waaaay better than the theme parks in Queensland! lol!) ;)
I must say that by getting our kids to do this - make a documentary, it kept them amused, as well as focused on all there is to see, instead of zoning out to what's outside the car.
And at the end of it a sense of pride in their achievements....and a good laugh at themselves too! :)

Here is the link to the first part of the documentary.

http://www.vimeo.com/1756413

Tracy

AnswerID: 356584

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:17

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:17
H Tracy,
you do some amazing stuff.... really great.

I tried your link to video the kids created, but it says it's a private video and won't let me have access. Is there another way I can get to it?
Thanks.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 624659

Follow Up By: Desertrose - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 18:03

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 18:03
Oops...thanks for pointing that out. I've changed the settings to "public" now.
FollowupID: 624668

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:05

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:05
Looking forward to part B; well done "Mum"and kids!
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 624698

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 21:04

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 21:04
Here is the first 3 parts of the documentary that the kids shot themselves pretty much.

When part 4 has been uploaded after the weekend I will add it to this thread.

As tracy mentioned, for those of you looking to travel and take your kids, we would love to have any comments back in regards to both how you found the video as well as your kids, both positive and negative...LOL

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 624717

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 23:22

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 23:22
Richard and Tracy that was really great, the kids should be stoked with that effort, well done to all.
Can't wait for part four.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 624730

Follow Up By: Desertrose - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 00:07

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 00:07
Thanks John. Glad you enjoyed it! :)
Part 4 is the best one......My son has an encounter with a hermit crab, the kids suffer from tent city fever in Broome and there's a few candid scenes of Richard and I waking the kids at night by torchlight.... Poor things, we are SO mean!
lol!
Not to mention some amazing scenes of all the wildflowers we saw on the way back home. Spectacular!

BTW, the reason I sound like an old fishwife in the video's, lol, is because I got SO sick at the beginning of the trip - and it lasted nearly the entire time we were away.
I ended up, on the Gunbarrel Highway, feeling like I was going to die - honestly, I have never been so sick in all my life!
I coughed the entire three days it took us to get across that Godforsaken place!
I ended up with secondary infections of tonsilitis and double ear infections by the time we got to Uluru as a result.
Funnily enough I've recently been diagnosed as having caught Barmah Forest virus - similar to Ross River Fever, and I have to wonder whether THAT was when I caught it because I became SO sick.
Moral to the story - Make sure you protect yourself from those darn mozzies when camping!

Tracy

FollowupID: 624737

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 15:08

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 15:08
G'day Richard passed you again this morning heading down the hill.

Excellent filming Tracy. Vid 2 is currently off line. Will have to have another look tonight.

A bit more water on the track in than I encountered in 06. I reckon you should flog the vids to Tourism WA as the one on Purnululu is by far better than their's.

Keep them coming!

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 356588

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 15:32

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 15:32
Your video storage website popped up so was able to watch. Excellent. Boy do they bring back some memories.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 624621

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:19

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:19
One of these days we may actually manage to stop and catch up. This passing each other is starting to become a regular event :)

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 624702

Reply By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 15:32

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 15:32
Fantastic footage and production there Richard & Tracy.! When I get my head around the video upload thingy myself, I will have some footage of mustering while we were up Nth in WA on the Station. Its a magic state over there, you guys are blessed.Unc
AnswerID: 356592

Follow Up By: Desertrose - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:54

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:54
Would love to see it!
Vimeo is a good site for uploading video to. Very simple and you're allowed 500 mb a week -free......You pay if you want more space than that.

Tracy

FollowupID: 624712

Reply By: Member - David T (SA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:17

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 17:17
Just wonderful Richard. We were there 4 years ago in what was probably the best trip we have ever done. Now you have made me want to go back even more. Congratulations to you and Tracey for superb work.

Cheers
Dave
AnswerID: 356609

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:18

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:18
David

Yes it is a magic place.Well at least bits of it were for us. We didnt really enjoy the North West Coast, but then again whenever we get the opportunity we head inland.

I actually cant wait to get back East later this year and then to head back into the SA desert region. parts of the Oodnadatta Track would have to be some of my favourite parts of the Australian outback.

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 624701

Sponsored Links