Removable Brake Controller - anyone ever seen one?

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:12
ThreadID: 67274 Views:10070 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have a Jayco Eagle and tow it with a Ford Territory with an installed brake controller.

Unfortunately the Territory has been bingled (but my wife), and won't be back on the road until after easter.

I was thinking of hiring a Ford Territory to tow the caravan for our easter holidays - but - hire cars don't have brake controllers.

So my options are:
1: don't go on holidays
2: hire a territory, pay for a brake controller to be installed, then removed
3: not use one (not a good option as it is illegal)
4: find a hire place in Melbourne that hire cars/4wd with brake controllers
5: find a simple removable brake controller (is there one?)

Any ideas?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tenpounder - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:48

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:48
Hi there.
(1) is obviously not on
(2) I'm told that cutting into the wiring loom to connect the controller can be tricky on some modern vehicles (ECU, ABS and so forth), and I'm not sure the hirer would like some third party doing such things. Also, you'll need a tow vehicle with a suitable rating towbar and the right tongue height, and with trailer wiring to match your Eagle (ie, 5, 7 or flat 12 pin, or whatever, including the electric brake connections).
(3) As you say
(4) You could be lucky but .....
(5) The controller itself is the easy bit, it's the wiring that causes the problems, so I don't know of a '5 minute option', even though the technology is not really earth- bleep tering.

I'd be thinking of borrowing a tent! Or hire a small car and stay in cabins (a bit late to book, perhaps.

Chris
AnswerID: 356715

Reply By: Roughasguts - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:50

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:50
I have a prodigy brake controller they can be seperated from there bracket and harness , and put in another vehicle as long as they have a wiring harness installed.

So one brake controller can be used in several vehicles.
But that doesn't help you much you still need wiring from the battery to the controller and wiring from the brake light as well.

AnswerID: 356716

Follow Up By: Roughasguts - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:53

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:53
Just another thing, the territory has to be wired in to the brake lights, not the brake pedal switch! as doing that mucks up the cruise control on the ford.
FollowupID: 624793

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:26

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:26
How about fitting an A-frame mounted controller to the Jayco?

No in-car adjustment of course, but when set correctly, they do work..

Most (if not all) braked hire trailers have these, for the simple reason that they can be towed by any vehicle capable of handling the weight, whether or not fitted with an in-car controller...

My campertrailer is set up this way, and when connected to the vehicle with (Tekonsha P3) controller fitted, it's a simple matter of turning the dial back to zero, and the P3 doesn't "see" it, and works as normal...

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 356720

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 13:34

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 13:34
Yes that would be the best way to go. We had a horse float that had a controller on the A frame with a dial to adjust braking pressure (eg turn back when towing empty). It must work off the brake lights as there was no controller in vehicle. Only trick was to get the adjustment right else wheels would lock up under braking. Seemed to work fine and you could tow it with any vehicle.
Cheers,
GPM
FollowupID: 624797

Follow Up By: slammin - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:10

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:10
+1 the A frame controller.

I use one for my boat trailer +2200kg.

They are easy to setup. Go for a drive and hit the anchors until you get the right setting.

Also FWIW as they react to the brake lights voltage they can be activated independently by just touching the towing vehicles brakes enough to turn the brake lights on.

While a Prodigy etc is nice it is more important to me to be able to use different vehicles.

FWIW I got this : Electric Brake Controller TRAILER MOUNTED BRAKE CONTROLLER

From here, no affiliation blah blah

reliable mob

Best of luck,

Sam.
FollowupID: 624834

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:24

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:24
Significantly the page says

LEGAL IN QUEENSLAND ONLY

so where is PGAC located as it may not suit
FollowupID: 624838

Reply By: PGAC - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 20:42

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 20:42
Thanks everyone for your input.

I am in Victoria, so the A-Frame on trailer control isn't the best idea, although there may be some legal alternative in Victoria.

There seems to be a lot of differing opinions about the 'on-trailer' braking controllers. I read a few threads today about them.

I am not the most experienced tower, so I should stick with the most sensible option.

The removable controller may be a good idea, I could install it in my father-in-law's Falcon, and use his car, then if he wants to borrow the Jayco in the future, he is ready to go.

This is probably the best alternative.

I will keep looking around - looks like I better buy a case of beer and drop it over to him tomorrow!

Thanks again everyone.

AnswerID: 356756

Sponsored Links