ex rental landcruiser

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:55
ThreadID: 67292 Views:4218 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have been looking for a used 4wd for a while now and have got some good advice from members here. I have narrowed the search down to two types, one the landcruiser and the other the patrol. All the issues with the patrol I have got sorted ie get a 3" exhaust and dump pipe, egt gauge (I tow a heavy trailer) and check the suspension/ chassis. The ones I have been looking at are the 4.2td with the Telstra work body. Like all things there are good and bad ones out there. With the landcruiser V8, in my price range I will need to get a ex rental with most being on or around mine sites in the North west or Goldfields for the past two years with around 60,000km on the clock.
I have always said that I would not buy an ex miner, but wonder if I am being overly cautious or sensible given that most of the drivers would have driven the ex rentals like they sole it.

My heart says go with the landcriuiser (they sound so sweet) but my head says don't touch the ex rental and get a good 4.2td patrol with trademan's canopy.

What do you think?

Regards

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: macy - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:42

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:42
Mark
Our three land cruizer tray tops (HJ45, HZJ75 and HZJ79) have all been ex miners the 45 is still on the farm with 450,000 the 75 was sold to get the bigger cab. If you have a good look over the ex miners you can see the ones to avoid............We think its a lot less risky than buying an ex public as you can never work out what they have actually been doing. ie bogged in the sea lots of mad driving on corros accident damage etc they arn't going to tell you. Re ex telstra they often do high kms at speed have a good look at the suspention /bushes.
AnswerID: 356849

Follow Up By: ben_gv3 - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:21

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:21
A bit OT but wouldn't a vehicle driven high kms at speed be better then an equivalent vehicle spent idling all day?

It would be cheaper redoing suspension/bushes then have to give the engine a really good service due to glazing from high idling times.
FollowupID: 624939

Reply By: stevesub - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 14:10

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 14:10
Our Pop-top Troopy was an ex-rental (Hertz) we bought at 150,000km, Never regretted it and it has been the best most reliable vehcile we have ever owned over the last 6 years and 100,000km.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 356858

Reply By: TWCAmpbell - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 14:19

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 14:19
I would be cautious of ex-mine vehicles - I do contract work through the Goldfields and Pilbara a lot and the guys on site typically thrash the vehicles as they know they will only be on site for a couple of years. But if you get a good inspection done, you can get a good deal. I'd recommend ex-Pilbara over ex-Goldfields as there is less chance of wear on the vehicle from chemicals (particularly from gold and nickel laterite mines - iron ore doesn't have any chemical processing done on site).

We bought a non-Tuirbo ex-Tesltra Patrol for work a few years back and found it to be OK but sluggish from the weight of tray and canopy (useless for towing). Had to re-seal the tradesmans canopy as it was full of leaks. But the built in lighting, hot water, etc have been great. Are about to retire it at 375,000km from a growing number of electrical and mechanical problems (intermittently not starting is one of them, and no one has been able to work out why - ususal story of it working fine when a mechanic looks at it!). But that's probably from our guys driving it rather than Telstra...

We've manage to get some good deals in the past from Ross' Auctions in Maylands - they do a lot of ex-mine and ex-government 4WDs.

Good luck,

Tristan
AnswerID: 356861

Sponsored Links