steering knuckle

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:52
ThreadID: 67300 Views:1717 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I have a 78 Troopy with 65k on the clock. I think the seal between the diff and the steering knuckle may be stuffed. I washed the knuckles 100km ago and one in particular is covered with runny grease already. One the bottom of the knuckle are what appear to be drops of oil. The diff oil looks a bit dirty despite being changed only 15k ago, guess it is mixing with the grease.
I have rebuilt a set of these on a Rocky I had a LONG time ago. Thought I saw a link on EO sometime back with tips on how to go about the job.
Thanks for your help.
Regards Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 15:01

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 15:01
The gear oil leaks past the inner axle oil seal any mixes with the moly grease. Won't do any harm - just a nuisance - happens on all the RFA Landcruisers.

The link you want is from LCOOL:
http://www.lcool.org/technical/80_series/birfield_repack/repack.html

The axle oil seals are small and a cheap component. Can be a little awkward to lever out - I used a brake adjusting tool (bent blade screwdriver) but they tap in easily.
AnswerID: 356866

Reply By: Roughasguts - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 19:32

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 19:32
For removing seals I use a small flat head screw, tap that in a few threads then prise it out with a flat head screw driver. Takes a few seconds to do it that way.
AnswerID: 356906

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 22:19

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 22:19
Don't reckon you'd get a screw into the inner axle oil seal - not enough meat, and its not made of metal. And its inside the swivel hub, so you need a lever with a 90 degree bend.
FollowupID: 625027

Sponsored Links