Chambers Pillar Feedback

HI FROM TASSIE,AM THINKING OF TRAVELLING INTO CHAMBERS PILLAR.I HAVE A FORD COURIER 4X4 WITH FULL SIZE MILLARD SLIDE ON.VEHICLE IS FULLY FITTED FOR OUTBACK TRAVEL AND I HAVE LOADS OF OFFROAD EXPIRIENCE.HOW BAD IS ROAD INTO CP AND ARE THERE ANY SECTIONS THAT WILL PLACE A VEHICLE ON AN ANGLE PUTTING IT AT RISK OF ROLLOVER. CHEERS RICHARD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:10

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:10
Please turn caps off - when on means you are yelling - - haven't been to Chambers - but I am sure someone will get to you with some info.
AnswerID: 356884

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:15

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:15
Richard, capitals is SHOUTING. No need....
The road to Chambers Pillar carries a lot of traffic and can be VERY (shouting) corrugated, or not....
There is a section where the road drops down a steep escarpment where you could get a lean up, but taken slowly you will be fine. Just pick your track around the corners.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 356885

Reply By: HAMPLE 7 - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:32

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:32
thanks for the advice---oh we tend to shout alot in tassie we are so far from the mainland !
AnswerID: 356889

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:58

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:58
Richard

Your first time on a Forum? Never mind, yer'll learn

Haven't been that way for many years so not sure how much improvement has been made to the jump-up over the range.

There is also the sandy Hugh River(dry) to negotiate and a number of dunes to cross over but they are reasonably easy with a made track over the top. Just take it easy and if unsure then back off in time.

This pic was taken coming back up the jump-up in 1987

[fi]/9715.25/Forum/Pic_167[/fi

Cheers

AnswerID: 356895

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 19:57

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 19:57
Will it work this time?

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 624981

Follow Up By: farmer112 - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:50

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:50
Hi Richard,

I have been out there in May last year before we did the Simpson (via French Line, hell of a fun, playing in the sand) and the Anne Beadell Highway.

It was a very nice drive to Chambers Pillar, no difficulties at all. The track from Maryvale Station is a little bit rough in places.

The jump-up mentioned by Willem is now bypassed. You come over the range and just slow down. Then you see the track splitting. In front of you is the very rough jump-up, but to the right is a nice negotiable bypass track. Go slowly! The first time I went to Chambers Pillar one year before, I nearly crashed into that bloody jump-up, while I was still wondering where that track to the right was leading to.

The last kilometres in to the reserve are quite sandy, track becomes very narrow. Danger of head-on collisions. A sand flag would be a good idea, UHF radio should be carried and set to the channel which is named on the sign near the entry.

Chambers Pillar is an absolutely awesome experience, especially for sundown and sunset. Sunset can be viewed from near the camp spot, while you have to walk around for the perfect sundown view. Getting up early will pay off by fantastic photos. We camped there all alone - a beautiful experience after all those bloody tourists from Europe at the big stone... ;-)

You can combine Rainbow Valley with Chambers Pillar in an easy one day's drive from Alice if you start not too late in the morning. Hugh River Stock Route is a very good track, but prepare for opening and closing many gates.

Enjoy!

Cheers from bloody cold and boring Dortmund/Germany,

Juergen

PS: If the bloody Gerries can do it, you can also do it! ;-)
FollowupID: 625097

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 18:03

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 18:03
Hample 7
Went out that way again last June and the track is now a good track in, compared when we were first out that way 20 years ago. All of the dune are capped, so there is no fear of getting bogged.

While you are in that neighbourhood, make sure that you check out Rainbow Valley, Owen Springs and Boggy Hole.

Enjoy the Great Central Australian Outback. I am sure that you will hear from Hairy.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 356897

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 19:57

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 19:57
Hi Richard

We took our caravan to Chambers Pillar last August. The 43 kms of track from Maryville onwards had a number of loose sandy sections, then various patches of corrugations. The climb crossing the Charlotte Range was quite steep and windy - but you are from Tasmania so will think nothing of it. As said, the dune crossings have been capped with limestone, but are quite narrow, so you need to announce your approach to the dune section on UHF - the channel is specified on the gateway.

Camping is typical NT parks honesty box camping $3.30 per person per night. There are eight campsites set out in a circle, each surround by bollards, and a long drop toilet. There is no water.

http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/parks/find/chamberspillar.html

The Pillar and surrounding rocks are best photographed at sunset and sunrise.

If you are continuing north on your travels, take the Hugh Stock Route through to the Stuart Highway, and head to Rainbow Valley. There is a small NT parks campsite there so you can view the colourful soft sandstone at sunset.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 356912

Reply By: HAMPLE 7 - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 20:27

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 20:27
thanks motherhen cant wait to get into the nt.i am going to buy a honda eu20i genny as everyone swears by them have you had any problems with yours? cheers richard
AnswerID: 356920

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 22:25

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 22:25
If you run your gennie, everyone will be swearing AT you........
FollowupID: 625030

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 22:55

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 22:55
We are well set up with solar Richard, so ours is only for the caravan air conditioner on rare occasions, and for power tools in an emergency. We did need it in the Kimberley, as our solar panels let us down. The neighbours didn't mind - every one with gennies in the camps had Hondas - nice and quiet. I don't know if they are permitted in the NT parks. Ours sat in the box on the front of the caravan from when we last needed it in June, until i got it out in January when we had a power failure during a bush fire. We hadn't even emptied the fuel out of it. It started first pull, and ran the two way base, a radio, aquarium pumps, and in turns two big old household fridges and the freezer, with lights also in the evening. Marvellous.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625036

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 07:40

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 07:40
Hi Mh and Richard,
My flippant comment wasn't against generators as such, but more the fact that Chambers Pillar and Rainbow Valley are such small camp areas where a generator will annoy your neighbour. But I will admit to hoping like hell that anyone with a generator in those places would run it through the day and not in the quiet of night.
Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 625060

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 18:21

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 18:21
Generators are NOT permitted in the Chambers Pillar or Rainbow Valley reserves. Only some NT parks have camping areas allowing generators; most do not allow them to be used.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625159

Reply By: caddz - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 20:47

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 20:47
Richard, towed a Tvav behind a 100 series LC out there August 08, no drama's except for a broken rear window on the way back. A bit rough in places but great facilities given where you are. Drop toilet/gas bbq's, pure luxury!! & great scenery ealy am & late pm. Enjoy.

Dazza
AnswerID: 356926

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 22:40

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 22:40
Gday,
The photo Willem posted is about as bad as it gets.( andthats one range)
Im sure you wont have a problem,
Cheers
AnswerID: 356951

Reply By: Russ n Sue - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 23:36

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 23:36
Richard,

I spent 8 months at Alice Springs last year and did all of the "usual" touro things. I towed a Kimberley Kamper to the Pillar and back and would rate it as "dead easy".

Just take your time, remember that corrugations are your shock absorber's worst enemies and you'll be fine.

Good advice was given about the UHF radio in an earlier reply. Make sure you have one and it is switched on. We encountered a convoy of vehicles and it could have gotten nasty if the radio procedures weren't followed.

Cheers

Russ.
AnswerID: 356960

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 07:12

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 07:12
I agree with Richard, the few sand dunes have been graded and now have excellent visibility, you probably will not even realise that you have crossed them. The 'hill' is still a bit steep and loose on the pillar side but you should have no problem.

Where will you be coming from when you head in to Chambers Pillar ?

FollowupID: 625058

Sponsored Links