Submitted: Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:19
ThreadID: 67329 Views:3154 Replies:5 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
As per Twinkles post 67077 the Victorian Pennisula
Baptist church held a free community fun day last saturday near
Mornington.
The events included a small but delightful little 4wd test track, and
several EO members were there.

We expected a small church ground with maybe a paddock out the back and arrived early but were quite surprized by the size of the event.
Some 3000 people had come thru the gates by 11am.

The whole scene became what I would consider a model for a no cost, no pressure family fun day, there were at least twenty different activites set up inside and outside the school like complex.
This included rooms for various crafts , pantonmine shows, amusement park rides , verteran cars , aerobactics, clowns and also a highway patrol car set up in which an officer was timing the speed on people throwing tennis balls with a falcon radar gun.
We had a good look at this last one as its good to know your enemy and how they operate.

There were lots of food and drink stalls all at zero cost, not even your usual $1 to $2 for a sausage sizzle, just fully free.

The 4wd test track which Twinkles and the Solid rock 4wd club set up was only about 1/2 an acre, it included a ramp, 3m deep mudhole with a twist and sections of tyres rocks and offset dirt mounds.
In keeping with the no-pressure fun nature of the day you didn't have to drive all sections and we avoided the big rocks on our run.

Interesting watching the different approaches to the test track.
The Ute before our car bounced around at twice the necessary speed and loud crunches could be heard.
When we went round, I drove slowly and the commentator soon picked up on this and began commenting on the contrast of our run to the previous driver as our wheels smoothly went over the logs etc.
Hearing this we played along and drove even more carefully.

Driving over the opposed dirt humps very slowly we soon had opposing wheels spinning and came to a stop, we spun the wheels obviously, then engaged the lockers to demonstrate
how they work and drove quietly thru the rest of the section.
Our run thru the huge but shallow mud-hole was just as boring.

The next car was even more gung-ho and charged into the mudhole, oversteered into the bank and bits of headlights, guards and panels went flying about and excited the crowd no end.

Twinkles had her own fun as the hilux began having a issue with the log section, so she hit the logs a bit harder making the front locker earn its keep.
All 4 wheels hit and bounced off two logs at exactly the same time resulting in the car getting completely airborne but remaining flat & level at the same time with daylight below all 4 wheels, very spectacular!

The free nature of the event extended to a commercial cappincino operation right next to the 4wd track and we made good use of this and with all that was going on never got back out to the track for a second run.

All in all the fun day was an excellant example of how a community event can be run to the benfit of all.

Well done to all concerned !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matt & Julie (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 14:04

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 14:04
Hi Robin

Sounds like it was a great day, we were supposed to be there after we had finished work, but we had a dreadful day with everything going wrong!!! We were looking forward to meeting
up with a few EO members from around the Peninsula, maybe
after Easter we can arrange something.
Cheers

Matt & Julie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 357038

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 15:55

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 15:55
We should work on that Matt/Julie

Actually by june it will be time for a big bonfire at our place so might think along those lines for a long weekend camp.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 625138

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:23

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:23
I'm not sure if I've met you before, but hope to if we can manage a get together after Easter.
FollowupID: 625185

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:24

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:24
Looking at your profile, I must have met you at the Pyrenees in 07.
FollowupID: 625186

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 15:41

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 15:41
Gday
I did go down and arrived at about 11.30.
Not being a crowd type person,turned around and came back home.
Forgive me Twinkles and Robin.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 357053

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 15:51

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 15:51
Ok - but next time leave your keys and we will give you a free report on how your car goes over the big rocks.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 625136

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:00

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:00
I was looking forward to meeting you Muz as well as Julie & Matt..

Gee the Bonfire sounds alright Robin..

Cheers
FollowupID: 625162

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:18

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:18
Sorry you didn't come in. We've met before at the Pyrenees or Flinders Ranges Muzbry. If Robin organises a bonfire hope to see you there.
FollowupID: 625165

Reply By: Twinkles - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:16

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:16
Thanks Robin for the great report about the day. It was fun and great to see you again. Unfortunately Warfer's back wasn't too good so he couldn't go around the track, but he enjoyed watching. This Free Family Fun Day happens every year, and the test track is opened.
You forgot to say that the hole became more difficult as water was added. Did you see the 6 wheel, 6.5lt Chevie diesel with 6 driving wheels and diff locks on every axle, have to have a second go to get out? That is some beastie of a car. Not a play vehicle, made for work. It took me 3 or 4 goes to get out. A couple of cars just couldn't manage it and had to back out.
The church is New Peninsula Baptist on Craigie Rd Mornington if anyone is interested in coming next time we open the track. We sometimes run a 4x4 event only with the track open later in the year. There are a few council regulations to be met to allow us to open it.
I'd like to take the credit for setting up the track, but it was there when I joined. The guy in the 6 wheeler does all the earth moving for it and some other chaps design and clean it up. If I do anything it's a sausage sizzle to feed them while they work.
Love to come up to your place some time too.
AnswerID: 357091

Follow Up By: Mad Cowz (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:27

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:27
Sounds like you're in good form, 4 wheels eh, 2 better than the pyrenees 2007!!!
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 625167

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:54

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 19:54
***Unfortunately Warfer's back wasn't too good so he couldn't go around the track, but he enjoyed watching***

I left the walking stick in the car too and still got sprung, lmao..Viki was impressed with the day also,I was surprised like Muzz at the amount of people there...

Cheeers

**The church is New Peninsula Baptist on Craigie Rd Mornington**

Oh in my opinion your better off going down the Moorooduc Freeway and turning right into Craigie Rd and then a left about 200m down into the Church grounds if your coming from Melb direction..Instead of Nepean Hwy..
FollowupID: 625176

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:01

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 20:01
Well Nick, you know I don't muck around, and I don't like to be snatched out either!
FollowupID: 625177

Follow Up By: Member - Matt & Julie (VIC) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:20

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:20
Hi

We were at the Pyrenees gathering in 07, I have a few photos
of everyone around the camp fire, were you on crutches at the
time and have a little dog with you? I can email some photos
if you like, just mm us with your email address.
Cheers

Matt & Julie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 625209

Follow Up By: Twinkles - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:25

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:25
Yes that's me. I'd love some photos. Send them to jenny.geri@flinders.vic.edu.au
Ta
FollowupID: 625213

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:02

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:02
Gday
I would love to come to a bonfire in the middle of winter and camp out.
Will be great if we can talk Robin into doing the job.
If you need a hand Robin, just ring, on the other number that realy works.
Murray
Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 357118

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:12

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:12
Hi Muz

I starting to think june long weekend .

Also doing one over easter - but can not really plan for it as a lot is happening and not happening in Murrindindi at the moment , most of forrest remains closed and DSE are not responding to emails and phone calls re - helping them out.
They won't list tracks open/closed either - so its just drive around and take your chances.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 625276

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 14:57

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 14:57
Gday
Sounds good to me Robin
Murray
Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message