RB30 EFI Conversion

Submitted: Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 18:26
ThreadID: 67340 Views:12318 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
After a year of a poor running RB30 in my Carbi GQ Patrol I have decided to explore the option of converting it to EFI.
I know that some forum members have done this, but the details in the archive are sketchy. Has anyone documented the process?

I am planning on getting the EFI components, ECU & Oxygen sensor from a VL Commodore and installing a new EFI fuel pump into the tank. I still have some questions:
1)How do I get an ECU start signal?
2)Do I need a return fuel line to the tank? If so does it fit to the EFI fuel pump?
3)Is there anything else I am missing?

I know that a lot forum members have had good results from Russell in Melbourne rejetting their Carbies. I have tried them but they will not work on the Carbi without the car. Unfortunatley I am about as far from Melbourne as you can get & still be in Australia.

Regards

Kev C
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:43

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:43
Mate, firstly, buy a gq 4.2 efi tank, or if the vl pump will fit inside your tank, then thats fine, do not mount it externally, you will have no end of bother. next, buy a complete running VL, and swap motor parts as required. use the complete loom/computer/fuse block etc, and wire in earth accessories and start from your key....fairly straight forward if you keep both systems intact.
MMMMturbo vl's are pretty cheap these days :)
Andrew
AnswerID: 357168

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:45

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:45
Do a forum search on "RB30".

Basically this engine needs extractors, plus a free flow or straight through exhaust. Ensure the obstructions are out of the carby and inlet manifod. Make sure not any any blow by in the valves.

Make sure carby and dizzy are working properly.
Then run on premium fuel and shift gears about 1000-1500 rpm higher than most other engines.

Remember this is the engine out of the early Skylines it is a racing engine detuned in standard form. It is designed to rev out to 4-5000rpm when you need some grunt.

Use 5th grear as overdrive only, keep it in 4th most of the time, it will happily do 100 KPH in 3rd gear and possibly use less fuel than when struggling to do 90KPH in 5th gear.

Rev it!! It will still do 400-500,000 klm without a major overhaul.
Once you do all of the above -There is not much additional power to be gained by fuel injection unless you take the step of throwing on a Turbo or supercharger.

If you do turbo it, they will handle around 400 BHP without major internal upgrades (crankshafts and pistons)

Check out the Skyline forums also for some good tips on how to get the most out of this engine.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/forums.htm

Great engine just very misunderstood.l

Hope this helps.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 357169

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 07:57

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 07:57
Hi Kev
Start signal - did mine via 1 k resistor from starter motor back to ecu.

Fuel pump needs return line - can't remember at moment how i did mine
but for fuel pump I fitted to driver chassis rail near the tank using the vl bracket which I re-bent (I taped 2 6mm holes in chassis rail to hold and just ran fuel line back into tank).

I used ECU from an auto which shuts down fuel in a different way from manual and so had to supply extra signals.
Manual ECU would have been better.
Was tricky due to loom and getting it thru firewall but i fitted ECU at passenger kick panel.

You can only get the 100kw engine up to 110kw with this conversion as cam profile is different , but I used extractors as well to get to 115kw.

Was a useful mod as it gave increased torque for 4wding , but before this I had carby version up to 145kw and no torque.

I didn't have option 10 years ago but If I was to uprate an RB30
today I would take my time and fit an ecotec engine instead.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 357196

Sponsored Links