Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:26
ThreadID: 67364 Views:1886 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a wireless card that goes in my laptop so I can use the laptop any where in the house. While on a recent trip my laptop locked onto Telstra Broadband but I could not lock in because I never had the code. My question is can I just buy a prepaid card from Telstra instead of buying their USB thingy?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rossc0 - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:35

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:35
The wireless you have in your laptop to connect at home is not wireless broadband.

So you can not just buy a prepaid card from Telstra.

What you locked on to was someones wireless access point like you have at home and they have not changed the name from the default name.

AnswerID: 357228

Reply By: timglobal - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:01

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:01
More probably it locked onto a Telstra public wifi hotspot. It will say Telstra CBD, or similar.
When you get on this, you need to open your web browser, which will allow you various payment options. It isn't cheap, either.
My recommendation would be to find a cafe with free wifi.
AnswerID: 357234

Reply By: Tadooch - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 00:24

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 00:24
I have Bigpond wi-fi at home like you. I used a PCMCIA card on my old lap top but they have had it built in to lap tops for the last couple of years. The network your computer found was like the one you and I have at home which is secured.
Some folks have unsecured wi-fi networks in their homes and are not aware they are open for others to use.
There are also free wi-fi networks in many caravan parks etc. Then there are bigpond's own wi-fi hotspots you pay to use. There is a list here...


You need to register, then download the software from the email they send you.

AnswerID: 357346

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)