Where to go out of Karratha this Easter weekend??

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:15
ThreadID: 67365 Views:7915 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys we have just got a new camper trailer (Tru Blu Crow offroad) that we are itching to test drive before our GRR trip in May.

Has anyone got any suggestions of a good spot preferably near a bit of water 2-3 hrs out of Karratha to camp this coming easter w/end that wont be packed?

Your secret spots are safe with me.... I promise! ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:43

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:43
Hi Colby,

Crossing Pool, in Millstream National Park, is nice. Not sure if it's open after the summer rain though.

It has gas BBQ's and a ladder to climb down to the water for a swim.

Image Could Not Be Found

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 357238

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 14:41

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 14:41
Or Python Pool
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 625343

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 19:47

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 19:47
Crossing Pool was still closed as of yesterday. This morning I was camped at the camping area near Python Pool (Snake Creek). Very nice spot.
Now in Carnarvon and heading back home. (Love this next g internet)

That Millstream Chichester NP was very nice. A bit like a mini-Rudall River.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 625828

Reply By: Psi - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:55

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:55
Colby

Look here
AnswerID: 357242

Reply By: oz doc - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 18:09

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 18:09
Hi Colby- you could try Jimbygnyinoo Pool, or Bullinawarra Pool. Both are along the Fortescue river. So about 90 ks on the bitumen, and about 10-15 ks off road to the location. Should be no trouble getting in with a 4wd and camper. Both sites have waterholes to cool down in so take your inflatable floatie toys. No facilities- need to take water and bush toilet arrangements. Both locations are on station property so you will need to get permission from the station owners. Easter weekend- there should be others around to help if you hit a snag, but not so many as to be cosy. I personally would give Millstream a miss. The road is bitumen almost all the way and this means every man, his dog, brother, mother in law etc will be camped out there. Another place would be Deepdale which is off the road to Panna. If you are getting into camping and exploring up there I strongly recommend you consider joining the Reddog 4wd club. Lovely bunch of people focused on safe, sensible exploration of the Pilbara area.Cheers, doc.
AnswerID: 357301

Follow Up By: Colby - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 00:08

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 00:08
oz doc

Thanks mate a few more I can add to the list. Yeah we were keen to stay clear of Millstream and Karijini.

I spent a bit of time today on the Reddog 4wd club website, looks the goods + it turns out I worked with a few of those guys in a past life.

A few places they mentioned that sounded good were Blackrock Pool, Kangan Pool, Cliff Springs, Yeerawa Pool and George River. Now iam just trying to find these on oziexplorer/Google Earth. Is there anywhere to go to get the GPS locations of these??

Thanks
FollowupID: 625486

Reply By: Member - Warren R-Silver Sands - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 00:01

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 00:01
G'day Colby.Deepdale, on the Robe River has great clear pools and plenty of shade. Go down the highway and turn onto the Pannawonica road.Deepdale turnoff is on the right about 10kms in. It's only a few minutes in on a dirt track.. Cheers, Waz
AnswerID: 357344

Follow Up By: Colby - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 00:13

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 00:13
Warren R-SS
Thanks mate - I have heard of Deepdale, it must be pretty popular, do you think is it likely to be full of campers over the easter weekend. Unfortunately we cant get away until Sat arvo so we wont be the first to get there?
FollowupID: 625487

Follow Up By: Member - Warren R-Silver Sands - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 18:37

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 18:37
Yep I guess there's every chance it could have a few campers, it's popular with the Panna people of course. Send me an email and I'll give you directions to another nice spot a couple of hours from Karratha. cya
FollowupID: 625611

Sponsored Links