Recommended camping spots

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 16:47
ThreadID: 67376 Views:3660 Replies:7 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all!

A question about camping spots for all you experienced outback travellers! :)

An old school friend and I (both of us 50-something's!!) are planning a 2-3 week drive from Tom Price to Mount Warning via the Red Centre in mid June. We will be travelling in Annie's 1997 Turbo Diesel Landcruiser (40th Anniversary Ed.), smallish trailer and a tent. We decided on this route as it is a lot more interesting than the Nullarbor! Annie has to be in Mount Warning for a job, hence the limited time we have to make this trip.

Looking at the planned route below, (so far!), which are the recommended and most suitable camping spots along this route? We can sleep in the car or the tent.

The planned route at the moment is loosely something like this -

Tom Price > Leonora > Yulara > Ghan > Coober Pedy > Port Augusta > Broken Hill > Moree (maybe also Lightning Ridge) > Mount Warning - but that could change, of course!

Many thanks! I can also be reached by email - annemarie55@gmail.com

Cheers,
Anne-Marie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 17:23

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 17:23
Anne-Marie,

Which way do you wish to go from Tom Price to Leonora?

Wayne
AnswerID: 357289

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 18:54

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 18:54
Hi Wayne - as I'm not the driver, I can't say for sure but I am guessing via Meeka... what is the alternative?

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625404

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:28

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:28
Anne-Marie,

Tom Price via Newman and then onto Leonora would be fine.

The alternative I would not recommend as it will take about 14 days from Tom Price to Leonora and most of that trip would be on the Canning Stock Route.

Wayne
FollowupID: 625411

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 17:35

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 17:35
Get a copy of the publication 'Camps Australia Wide'. You can get it by ordering it through this site. Go to "Shop", and look for it.

You'll find it's the best investment that a traveller such as yourself can make.

Dick
AnswerID: 357293

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 18:55

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 18:55
Hi Richard,

I am planning on buying a copy of that as MY contribution to the trip seeing as Annie is doing pretty much everything else!! :)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625405

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 18:08

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 18:08
Hiya girls, "Annie has to be in Mount Warning for a job"....hmm...she must be a National Parks Ranger ....
Can't think of much that requires that amount of dedication around Mt Warning....even in Mooh Bah they roll up the streets about 7pm LOL

Seriously, the advice re the camps book is spot on.
Have fun.
AnswerID: 357300

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 18:58

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 18:58
Hi ya Footloose!

Well you'd be wrong! :) Annie is a swimming teacher BUT she has a fab house-sitting/B&B sitting job for about 6 months in beautiful Mount Warning! I have told my husband I might not be home straight away!!!! :) I can handle that kinda peace and quiet!

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625407

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:41

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:41
So can I . For about a week and then I go stir crazy LOL
Still, house sitting a B#B will keep you both busy. There's a state forest behind Mt Warning that I occasionally camp in when I need some de stressing, which isn't too often these days. To tell the truth the last time I was there it was full of weekend warriers , so I was a bit disappointed and left early.
BTW I don't mind being wrong, but I thought Mt Warning was exactly that: a mountain. I haven't seen a town there .....but as I said...I'm often wrong .
FollowupID: 625417

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:47

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:47
Hi Footloose,

I'm only going along for the ride then hopping on the train back home to Bowral in the Southern Highlands once I've had a few days rest in Mt Warning! Annie is doing the house/B&B sitting with another friend. :)

You're right - Mount Warning IS a mountain and the B&B is on it, so I guess the closest town would be Murwillumbah! :)

This is the B&B - http://www.mtwarningretreat.com.au/

Looks like a hard place to look after... NOT! :)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625419

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 20:01

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 20:01
AnneMarie, that look like one tough gig :))
Have fun and don't forget that you can camp at Warberton on the GCR, they had a camp kitchen and even dongas there a few years ago. It was a better spot than Docker. (much better).
Also if you're coming back across the Plenty, don't forget that there are no facilities at Tobermary any more i.e. fuel or camping.
FollowupID: 625424

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 18:19

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 18:19
Dear Anne-Marie

Didn't you ask this question in a roundabout way a few threads back?

There is no definitive answer as there are not regulated campspots along your route. You either stay in caravan parks or you bush camp. You have to play it by ear(and sight)

Where and what is 'Ghan' on your route?

Moree would have to be a camp in a caravan park

You could have stopped over at my place on your way past but it will be just about the time we are entering the deserts out in the west...:-)

Cheers
AnswerID: 357303

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:09

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:09
Dear Willem! :)

I dunno - I probably did, sorta!! LOL! Hey, I'm over 50... how would I remember!?! ;)

Ghan? Don't know that either - I thought it was a train... but it seems to be marked as a 'place' on the google map! Agree about Moree!

Would love to stop by your place, Willem - if you were there!!! I'm guessing we'd be in SA towards the end of June, around the 20th onwards. By the looks of it, you are way further south than we'd planned on going, but hey... we could make a special trip! LOL!

This will definitely be an interesting trip! The last time Annie did a similar trip was way back in the 80's with husband and 4 little kids who are now in their 20's and 30's!! Still got 4 great 'kids' but minus a husband! ;)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625409

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:19

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:19
Dear Anne-Marie

I was over 50 in the early '90's...hahahahaha....bugga!!!

The Ghan is the train running between Adelaide and Darwin

We live along the way between Port Augusta and Broken Hill which is the route you designated

Our place is a regular stop over for ExplorOz friends and friends to
be :-) But, alas, we will be elsewhere by 20 June. Maybe next time.

Enjoy your adventure

Cheers
FollowupID: 625410

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:42

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:42
Dear Willem - sorry we'll miss ya this time! Perhaps when Andrew (other half!) and I do a trip up your way we'll stop by your place. :)

Catcha then,
Anne-Marie :)
FollowupID: 625418

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:24

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:24
Hi AM

While Camps Australia Wide is excellent for travelling, it does not cover outback tracks. Far better for WA and NT is the Jan Holland series; Priceless Campsites and Rest Areas - also available from the ExplorOz book shop. Even that is limited for outback tracks. She also includes a lot of tourism information which in some cases is better than brochures and websites. Get the set (of 3) as well as Camps 5.

We tend to use books are a back up - look for a nice spot be it gravel pit, bush track or old road, but now we don't panic if we don't find something good as the afternoon progresses, as we look up the books and check out the next lists places. In real outback areas, it is a matter of finding your own - usually quite easy in isolated areas. As said before, never near a town or settlement.

Don't forget you need separate permits for the WA and NT sides of the Great Central Road to Yulara - plenty of discussion on this recently (both road and permits). Your permits will specify you can only camp in authorised areas.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 357313

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:51

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:51
Thanks for that info, Mh! :) Much appreciated!

I'm sure Annie will have the permits sorted as she used to work with Indigenous people up her way for a few years - Early Literacy Project, I think it was. She's pretty clued up on that kind of stuff as she has done a lot of travelling in the past.

Time for me to get off here soon!

Enjoy your evening, Mh. :)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625420

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:55

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:55
Hi AM

So how are you returning? Flying back home?

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625421

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:58

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 19:58
Hi MH,
Either that or on the train, which would be a bit more interesting than flying! I'll play it by ear at the time. :)
Cheers,
AM
FollowupID: 625422

Follow Up By: greenextreme - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 22:56

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 22:56
Hi AM,

When travelling from Laverton toYulara and perhaps onto Erldunda you will find a HEMA Maps publication titled "The Outback Way" a very useful guide on camping, travelling and sightseeing. It's very detailed and well worth it.

Enjoy the trip.

cheers,
greenextreme
FollowupID: 625478

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 23:04

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 23:04
There is also The Outback Way website

http://www.outbackway.org.au/

Worth a look

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625479

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 06:27

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 06:27
Thanks greenextreme - will check out the publication, 'The Outback Way' you mentioned. Sounds good. :)

Motherhen - thanks for your link too. Already had a look at that too! ;) Actually, it was my friend, Annie who first told me about it. Very informative site.

BIG thank you to you both and to EVERYONE here who have been so helpful! Very much appreciated. :)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 625495

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 02:12

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 02:12
Hi Anne-Marie,

I am assuming you are running a GPS. We did the Anne Beadell and Leonora, Laverton, Meekathara, Willuna etc last year so have numerous camp sites markes with co-ords. Also I have the wpt files for the free campsites book mentioned if you would like it.

I havent forgotton about the pictures either, will email my site tomorrow sometime.

Cheers
AnswerID: 357351

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 16:54

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 16:54
HI Blaze

Thanks so much for your kind offer and yes, my husband is lending us his Navman which has all the maps we could ever want including all the latest Aussie Explorer maps! I think that should be enough for this particular trek, shouldn't it? I have just bought the Camps Australia 5 book today - will be handy for Andrew and I when we want to go away too! :)

I have just sate here and enjoyed your wonderful shots on Flikr as a slide show! EXCELLENT! Very impressive album indeed! :)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie

FollowupID: 625584

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 16:09

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 16:09
Hi AnneMarie,
There are heaps of roadside spots that make for great camps but they dont show up in publications like Camps 5 (thank goodness!!! so they dont get crowded out). A couple that might be on your route that might help:

West of Newman there is a designated camp area at Mt Robinson (probably in the publications). Also a bit further east is Wanna Munna waterhole with some good petroglyphs. Turn north off the highway at 23deg 06.988'S and 119 deg 07.998'E and take the LH fork after a km or so.

On the Barrier highway north of Oodle Wirra and halfway between OW and Dawson (which is on a side road) the road takes a LH bend across a creek. Well used spot beside the probably dry creek. 32 deg 49.458'S and 139deg 02.353"E

There is a nice little van park at Orroroo pretty much at the end of the main street I think - but freezing cold when we were there last year! If there take a 5 minute detour out of town to see the big (enormous) river red gum.

North of Broken Hill near Little Gardiners Tank there is a track that takes you off the road a few hundred metres to the east of the road. Turn off at 31 deg 30.354"S and 141 deg 40.177'E

If before leaving on your trip you have a rough idea where you will end up each day you can have a look using Google earth and see if there are any tracks leading off to creeks, rivers etc. In outback areas there are seldom fences to get in the way so you can find some really good spots that way.

Have a great trip,

Val.

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 357457

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 18:06

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 18:06
Hi Val,

Thank you SO much for the great tips on camping spots! They sound like real gems. :)

I have now printed out your suggestions to pop into my book, Camps Australia Wide 5... when it arrives! :)

Once again, thanks for all your help and support, Val. I really appreciate it very much.

Hugs,
Anne-Marie

FollowupID: 625603

Sponsored Links