Rainbow Beach Rocks, impassable twice....

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 20:53
ThreadID: 67384 Views:2250 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
how do we know if the run between the Rainbow Beach rocks and Leisha Track Trees is passable...

I got over the rocks this arvy but the last tree blocked me in. i fogot my chainsaw and it was a mad dash back to rainbow...

with the tidal flow in that area, when you leave rainbow timing has to be perfect...

I made it back over the rocks with the locals mumbling "lucky i made it"... yerr, lucky twice but where is the dam sign!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian B (Brisbane) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 23:02

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 23:02
Hi,

One point of reference is to have a look at the EPA website where you can download the conditions report. The problem with it is that it is generally a week or so out of date but is still a useful guide. The current one lists the beach between Rainbow Beach and the Leisha Track closed due to erosion. This has been made worse by the recent large seas and big tides. My family live at Rainbow Beach and it has been this way for some time now. The folk at the local Shell garage can also give you an update as can the local RACQ guys.
AnswerID: 357338

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 23:42

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 23:42
You would have a point if this info was in the "Park Alerts" section of the EPA site...everything else is... i'v now spent a good amount of time checking it first before i went and agian now to make sure i didnt miss it and it is not in the parks alerts section...

the folk at the shell had no idea, nor did the 17yr where i booked at the IGA...

If the road is impassable why not put a sign it or is that what the recovery business's are there for...
FollowupID: 625482

Reply By: Brian B (Brisbane) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 00:08

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 00:08
Mate I can't help with where the information is contained nor the quality of advice given by individuals, I was just giving you a tip on some sources of information that I know of. Incidentally you will find the conditions report it in with the online camping bookings.
One of the best sources of advice in that area is to have a look for yourself, see if other vehicles are getting through and know exactly what the state and height of the tide will be and had there been any big seas recently such as from the recent cyclone which may have eroded the beach. I have sat down by Mudlo Rocks a lot over the years and ultimately it comes down to a decision the driver makes at the time. Some of those decisions people have made have proven very costly. People try to get around there on the top part of the incoming tide and wonder why they get caught at times. As far as signs go they get vandalised very regularly in the area so I am not convinced this would work.
Hope you enjoyed your trip.
AnswerID: 357345

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 01:16

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 01:16
i have always enjoyed passing those rocks plenty and ive done 'em plenty too. i also know the tides into that bay, very tricky sometimes,....there used to be a BIG sign advising the beach was impassable or it was taped up....vandals must have got the tape too, but i hope they can find some more lest someone inexperienced be physically harmed.
FollowupID: 625490

Sponsored Links