csr

gday 2 all
can u please tell me when crossing the canning.you read and hear reports bout gettitng fuel drops at 1of the wells.i guess my question is there any other places along the canning where you can get fuel.i know its got2 do with how much u can carry etc.but is there any where else on the canning u can get fuel from bar the fuel drop at the well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 09:32

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 09:32
Fuel is available at the Kunawariji Community & Billiluna.
I believe if they have to open the pumps at Kunawariji there is a $20.00 per vehicle surcharge.
AnswerID: 357381

Reply By: farmer112 - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 09:41

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 09:41
Hi,

as far as I am informed, you can fuel up at both Wiluna and Halls Creek at the end of the CSR.

Fuel is also available at Kunnawaritji Community near well 33.

I will do the CSR together with three friends with two cars starting late in May this year, we have pre-ordered fuel from the Capricorn Roadhouse. This fuel is delivered in a drum to the fuel dump near well 23. Current price is 500 AUD for a 200 litre drum of Diesel fuel. Petrol can also be ordered at 550 AUD per drum.

In September last year I fuelled up at Cotton Creek/Parrngurr Community at the border of Rudall River NP. Parrngurr is a drive of 80 or 90 kilometres from Georgia Bore on the CSR if I remember this right. But fuel is very expensive there, we paid 4,- AUD per litre, so the fuel drop at well 23 is much cheaper.

As far as I am informed you can also get fuel at Billiluna Aboriginal community just before reaching the Tanami Track.

You should be aware of the fact that fuel consumption will be very high in the dunes, so plan reserves. Be also aware of the fact that you might have a leaking fuel tank. I had this experience on the Anne Beadell Highway. Luckily it was only a very small leak, but those jerry cans gave me real peace of mind. ;-)

Read all information concerning the CSR on the Treks section on exploroz.com carefully and follow the given advice thoroughly.

Regarding fuel purchase from Aboriginal communities, you must apply for permits for some of them first before being allowed to enter. See the homepage of the Department of Indigenous Affairs for details (www.dia.wa.gov.au). If you plan to fuel up in Aboriginal communities call the communities in advance and make sure that fuel is available at the desired time. Contact phone numbers can for instance be found on the HEMA North West Sheet Map.

Cheers from bloody boring Dortmund/Germany,

Juergen
AnswerID: 357382

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 10:13

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 10:13
Juergen,

I see that you have ordered fuel from Capricorn Roadhouse.

Don't forget to take a hand pump to pump the fuel out of the drum into your vehicle.
They have had hand pumps in the past but they were not very clean.

Wayne
FollowupID: 625526

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 11:30

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 11:30
Juergen

I drove into Cotton Creek one day and they asked me

"Did you ring to get permission to come in?"

I said "No. I came in to see if I needed to get permission"

The Community Manager thought that was very funny. So we got off on the right foot and we eventually got permission from an Elder to take the backroad into Rudall NP

Wayne

My pump would not work at Well 23 back in 1994. So I siphoned a little bit out. Then I found a large discarded tyre and put the drum in it at an angle (I was still relatively strong in those days) and bucketed it in, not spilling a drop. Just as well for my drum of fuel as we had arrived there with 9 litres left in the tank!

Cheers
FollowupID: 625538

Follow Up By: traveln - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 11:59

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 11:59
thanks 4all the info guys.so bottom line we can get fuel half way long there bouts with out ordering fuel 4a drop at well 23.there r few of traveln threw there at the end of july.its easy 4me with as i have a 79serious ute so carting fuel 4me is great.hav the room not like alot of people who do theres tips in wagons where by the time they put everything in not a lot of room 4the xtra things like fuel etc.
friends that who r goin are getn a fuel drop at well 23 but im guessn 4x60 lts drums as well as full tanks on the cruiser will get me 2 well 33.
i just needed 2 clear that up with mky self that the only fuel u could on there was a fuel drop at well 23.
thanks guys an best of luck in the future and who knows mayb cu on the track sumwhere in our great land of ours
jason
FollowupID: 625544

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 11:41

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 11:41
Image Could Not Be Found

I have posted this particular reply on a previous occasion or two.

Depending on my tour itinerary into the Western Desert region, I can deliver perishable foods, pre~ordered vehicle or trailer parts and small quantities ( 20 Litre Jerry Cans) of Fuel, diesel, petrol or oils direct from Newman to Georgia Bore.

All my contact details are on my web site, which can be found using the "My Profile" tab

The watery image is of last months rain event, it shows the Ophthalmia Dam, over flowing the Fortescue River spillway.

Safe touring ~ Joe
AnswerID: 357400

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 17:14

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 17:14
This is the google earth view of the same area Site Link
FollowupID: 625587

Reply By: Member - Elliot William P (WA) - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 13:08

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 13:08
We filled up in Kunawarritji when we did some of the CSR in 2006.
There's also a campsite in the community and the elders were very friendly and we stayed around for two days and had a good chat, got lots of photos etc. If I recall correctly there is also a shower there too, which is nice for a freshen up :)
AnswerID: 357661

Sponsored Links