FJ73 - Throttle Cable or Carb Sticking..

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 21:35
ThreadID: 67429 Views:2319 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys,

Well im back after a few years of not having a 4by, i use to have an FJ62 sahara and now i have an FJ73 with the FRP roof, nice car :)

Anyways, so picked her up today and they guy told me a few things that needed doing. First off was the Steering, he said it needed a pin changed in the steering box? Does anybody know what he would be refering to there?

Second was a thermo, any ideas where to get one? Toyo dealer have one readily available?

Thirdly the throttle cable sticks he said. Now i would have thought if the throttle cable was sticking then simply pulling the throttle pedal back up by hand would stop this. It doesnt, however a quick jab on the pedal does. I suspect it maybe be something sticking internally on the carb as i have sprayed all the moving parts on the carb with RP7 (WD40) Any ideas or comments would be fantastic, thanks guys!

JB
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Volvo driver - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:39

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:39
re the sticking throttle problem.. had a 'ol 55 and 80 series with the same problem.. carby cleaner fixed it both times
AnswerID: 357651

Follow Up By: beccsptyltd - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 14:17

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 14:17
Hey Volvo Driver,

yeah thanks for that, i went out and bought a few different types, bought some spray to go into the carb whilst running, then also bought a liquid that you can either add to your fuel tank or pour into the carb, i think the latter was the most effective as i actually saw real time black smoke coming out of the exhaust, i might try and get some more of that stuff because it seemed to help it a bit anyways.

After doing all that, it is still sticking, not as badly it now sticks around 1k rpm, which isnt too bad.

Any other suggestions about this problem or any others im having?

JB
FollowupID: 625774

Follow Up By: ross - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 01:15

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 01:15
Its most likely the spring under the accelerator pedal.
I had to replace mine at about 230000klms.
I think it was about $10 from the dealer 4-5 years ago.
FollowupID: 625881

Sponsored Links