3ltr Patrol motor - low oil preasure......

Submitted: Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 12:15
ThreadID: 67476 Views:2215 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
My mate has a series 5 GU patrol which last week came up with a low oil preasure warning light... so he took it to Nassan and the service guy had a look and said he couldnt find anything and was probably a faulty oil pressure sender and not to worry about it...
My mate not believeing him for a second then told the guy to put it in writing and sign it because if the motor blewup he has it in writing..well the Nissan service manager wasnt about to do that so recommended he book it in for a service - which is was nearly due for anyway...
Sooooo he gets the car back yesterday and they found one of the hydraulic lifters - which apparently bring the oil from the sump to the top of the motor and to the turbo - was damaged and not working properly..
there is 1 lifter per cylinder and all 4 were replaced under warrently. apparently they are $1200 each.

Thought Id share this with everyone incase it helps others with the 3ltr motor and they have a similar low oil warning light occurance.

regards
Bryan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 15:06

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 15:06
I think the story here is don't believe off the cuff comments like it was probably a faulty oil pressure sender, comeon it's never that anymore, nowdays they are reliable.
AnswerID: 357863

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 17:48

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 17:48
Good one Bryan - get it in writing!

Seeing the vehicle was under warranty I would have been asking them to replace the faulty sender unit - as a minimum.

When I rebuilt my GUIV ZD30 I also installed a VDO 0-100 Oil Pressure Gauge. At startup (cold) it was 95 psi (almost off the scale) then settles back to around 80 psi. What concerned me was at idle it dropped back to 20 psi. After reading the manual I found this was normal.

I'm from the old school - I now want to know what my engine is telling me not some light that says, "Sorry, you have a red light condition - your 'whatever' has just failed. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200".

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 357906

Follow Up By: guzzi - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 18:46

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 18:46
Shouldn't that be do not proceed and please pay $12,000?
FollowupID: 626008

Sponsored Links