Drawer system for Hilux 09

Submitted: Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 16:22
ThreadID: 67488 Views:2650 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Does anybody know of a drawer or false floor system to replace the backseats in a Hilux dual cab?

Spoke to a couple of the majors and they don't do anything so this is a last ditch effort before getting my tools out and doing it myself.

Broe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Best Off Road - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 16:41

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 16:41
I'll try to help here Broe.

Drawers are going to be near impossible as the door doesn't open wide enough to let them slide out.

As for a false floor, it's pretty easy. Once the back seat is out you use the existing bolts holes to secure your floor. Cut the false floor to size and to set it at the desired height. Get some 50 x 50 timber and cut it to the right length under the false floor to match the level of the car floor at that point. Then attach some angle alloy to the base of the "leg" with a hole in it to match the holes in the floor. Then screw through the top of the false floor into the legs.

The number of support legs will depend on how load you intend to put on it. Not all of them have to bolt into the floor.

Also a good idea to use some angle brackets on the false floor to attach it to the section of the cabin under the rear window to help secure the floor.

Stick some carpet on top if you wish.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 357883

Follow Up By: Member - Broe (WA) - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 16:43

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 16:43
Many thanks Jim,

I think this is what I will have to end up doing as nothing seems to be made for them. The fridge I will put in there as well but as you say, there isn't enough room for a fridge slide.

Once again, many thanks.

Broe
FollowupID: 625972

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 16:59

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 16:59
Broe,

It's a great place to put the fridge. I ripped the back seat out of our Courier ages ago and simply put the fridge on the floor. I've been meaning to do a false floor for ages, but.....I'm just like a Plumber with leaking taps in his own home LOL.

One other tip, use ply (not Marine it's a waste of money) rather than MDF. It's much stronger at a given weight. 12 mm should do the job if you have enough supports, if in doubt go 18 mm. Just ensure that it structural ply so that it will not be affected by water.

Also the grade of ply only refers to the finish, not the quality. C/D should be fine. The D surface will be a bit rough, use it for the underside. Put the C side up, it will look quite good with some clear oil based lacquer on it, or stick on the carpet with Contact glue.Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 625979

Follow Up By: Member - Broe (WA) - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 17:02

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 17:02
All very good tips mate, many thanks. Sounds like you have done one or two of these before.

Broe
FollowupID: 625980

Sponsored Links