Water Tanks and Tent Drying

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 00:39
ThreadID: 67503 Views:2387 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Our new C/T is reallt great but the water from the 65lt tank has a formaldehyde/vinyl/plasticky sort of taste. It's very strong, virtually undrinkable. What is it and what is the remedy? The fellows at the C/T place reckon they used food grade materials.
Next, we had some rain when packing the tent up. Basically, it was already folded when the rain started and we were putting the other stuff on top then the tonneau. It took about 4 days, due to constant wet weather to set it up, then we set the tent up for about an hour where the tent was in indirect light with a little breeze. Some of the seams felt slightly damp but seemed to be alright after the hour. Is that long enough or does it require more? Thanks in advance for the reply.!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dags666 - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 07:42

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 07:42
i normally let tent camper dry for a week and put some bicarb in the tank and let it soak for a couple of days then flush dags
AnswerID: 357962

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 07:45

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 07:45
There's a product called Tankclean you can try; or else Milton's baby bottle steriliser from the supermarket.
AnswerID: 357963

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 08:46

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 08:46
Yes I agree with Sigmund.

Milton's tell you on the label how much to use based on your tank's capacity.

Tankclean is a product which probably works but is quite expensive at around $18.00. (I have an unused bottle tucked away in the camper somewhere)

Provided the hose from the tank to the outlet tap or pump is food grade quality, this should stop any mould or mildew buildup.

Care should also be given when filling up your tank. I have a special "food grade" hose I use to fill the tank from the tap so no contamination occurs "at the source".

The chances are the taste you refer to is purely because the tank, and fittings are new and a dose with Milton's, Tankclean, or BiCarb of Soda, followed by a good flush out, will fix the problem.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 626069

Reply By: time waster - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 07:47

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 07:47
We had very bad taste in our tanks, tried packets of bicarb did nothing the only thing that worked was 3lt of vinigar in each tank fill to the top and leave for a couple of days then flush.
AnswerID: 357964

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 08:07

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 08:07
Canvas needs to be bone dry - any dampness will cause mould - the longer you leave it to dry out the better - friends had mould on their CT at Christmas - got the spores off with soap and water, then treated with chemical from camping store - but you can use vinegar or weak bleach solution - trouble is it stains - and that is what is the hardest to remove.
jules
AnswerID: 357968

Reply By: guzzi - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 09:51

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 09:51
What hose did you use to fill the tank?
Normal garden hose or a food grade one?
Buy a food grade water hose from Camec or similar and that will eliminate one possible cause for bad tastes.
What does the water you are putting into the tank taste like before you put it in?

If my camper gets wet (usually rains when in the middle of packing up:( ) I try to set it up when we get home and leave it up for at a day, it all depends on how wet it got.

Cheers
AnswerID: 357980

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 10:07

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 10:07
Go with what Sigmond has advised, it should work.
When filling the tank using a hose it is always a wise move to run a few liters of water through the hose before filling the tank thus avoiding any contamination from residual water that has been laying in the hose.

All tents should be packed up completely dry to avoid mildew etc. However often this is impracticable due to weather or some other condition, thus it is advisable to erect the tent as soon as possible after you arrive home to let it completely dry and for cleaning the interior. If the weather is sunny and warm when you do erect it, after cleaning the interior give the outside a good hosing down.
Also note that fly spray in a tent is detrimental to the canvas so sometimes an interior hose down is warranted.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 357982

Follow Up By: Bluemetaldaisy - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 20:58

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 20:58
Thanks to all here who replied. I'll take the advice given and give it a try!
FollowupID: 626172

Reply By: unko - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 23:33

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 23:33
the army just uses vinagar and water for there camelbacks bladers its a cheaper way to do it.
AnswerID: 358100

Sponsored Links