The Birdsville Track

Hi All

Heading out to do the Birdsville from Syd in a month, via Camerons Cornerner cutting down onto the Strazleki to start the track from the south, in a new Navarra kitted out, with an off road Jayco.
Any feed back with recomendations would be appriciated.
ie, What kind of fish are caught out this way and does anyone know what Lake Eyre looks like at present....

Happy Travels..

Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 09:22

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 09:22
Flood waters in the Cooper are arriving at Nappa Merrie right now according to the ABC - water might be km's wide in places say the locals. Fishing could be a real winner - the Innamincka trading post should have frozen bait, but failing local fresh bait is best - with high water though, your opportunities for getting mussels and yabbies etc might be limited.
Re the rig..... my main concern would be tyres - the lower parts of the Strz can be very stony - two spares or at least a spare tyre case or two is considered wise by many. Some parts of the BVT can be the same but I reckon its less harsh than the ST on tyres. I've got a few pics of those roads and others on my site... may be of interest .........Darian's Bush Track
AnswerID: 357974

Follow Up By: -Neil & Lea- - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 09:35

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 09:35
Thanks Darian....
Good site.....
FollowupID: 626077

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 10:55

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 10:55
You will only find fresh water fish in that part of the country. Callop (yellow belly - golden perch) etc. Local shrimp (caught in a shrimp pot/net) makes a great (natural) bait. Have a look at this Link
AnswerID: 357984

Follow Up By: takenbyaliens (QLD member) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 14:32

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 14:32
DIO
Thats a good link mate. Heading that way myself in 3 weeks and am currently getting the bits and pieces together so useful for me.
According to modern astronomers, space is finite..a very comforting thought particularly for people who can never remember where they left things

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 626121

Reply By: patto - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 12:03

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 12:03
I travelled from Marree to Clifton Hills station and return a couple of days ago and the Birdsville Track is in very good condition with the grader gang working in the Cooper Creek area
AnswerID: 357993

Reply By: troopy 2005 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 10:26

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 10:26
All the roads in this area are in good condition due to the oil & gas feilds. Good tyres plenty of water and food and above all commom sense.Do not go on the cordillo road with a camper trailer..
AnswerID: 358156

Sponsored Links