Plotted white lines on Google Earth

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:40
ThreadID: 67544 Views:2792 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
As usual I am scouring tracks on Google Earth. Mainly up in the Pilbara Region.

I am finding many white lines, as in plotted tracks, in my view and I am certain that what I have loaded from other sources to Google Earth does not include plotted tracks in the area.

I am looking in particular at the track from Skull Springs Road to Upper Carawine Gorge and beyond to Woodie Woodie Road.

Is it possible for someone else to save a plotted track and upload it to Google Earth for everyone to see?

Anyone out there with an answer :-)

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 10:01

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 10:01
Willem,

GE seems to attempt to lay down tracks where it thinks it's found real tracks in the images. I see two GE attempts at a track roughly following one that is present on the newest 260k Hema map where you've described. I think these are a computer's best guesses, (offset a little so as not to hide the original features) and not from a real plot file.

So far as I know, your own plot files on GE aren't accessible to other people.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 358152

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:37

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:37
Thanks John

Cheers
FollowupID: 626296

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:04

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:04
Hello Willem

The white lines are roads and tracks plotted as a layer by Google Earth when you have the Road layer tuned on. It is not something you or soemone else has loaded. The source of the data is given near the base of the screen as being (in Pilbara area at least) '2009 MapData Sciences Pty Ltd, PSMA". If you turn the road layer off this copyright notice disappears. It also is not shown if you are in an area where there are no roads/tracks displayed.

This data is the same that is used by GPSOZ/Magellan/Garmin to make their various mapping products (eg Oztopo V2). The data probably comes from a variety of state and federal govt sources and is compile and on sold by PSMA to anyone who is willing to pay.

PSMA

Because of its wide range of origins its accuracy will vary from place to place. I suspect tracks in the more remote areas have just been digitised from airphotos (sterio pairs). This is why some just stop on the map but on the ground continue on as they are not visible on the air photo due to veg cover, shadows etc.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 358161

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 12:02

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 12:02
Thanks for that Greg. I assumed those GE tracks were a controllable layer but have never been able to find how to control layers - until now. Pretty obvious really when you realise it's a major part of the sidepanel that's in front of you!

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 626277

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 12:29

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 12:29
Hi - best layer is "Terrain". Turn it on. Go into "Tools -Options" and crank up Terrain quality to highest and Elevevation Exageration to max (3). Using the Navigation control ("circle" on top right of screen) tilt the view using the inner arrows. Gives great 3 D view - obviously looks best when there are a few hills around.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 626281

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 12:45

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 12:45
Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 626284

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:11

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:11
G'day Greg,

Beautiful aerial photo of the Oakover area. Where is that from ?

I am going to the Kalgoorlie / Leonora area in May. All I have on my Oziexplorer set-up is the Natmap 250,000 rastor maps. Is there anything better available for that area ?

Thanks,

Willie.
FollowupID: 626286

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:23

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:23
Hello Willie

Picture is screen capture from google earth with terrain turned on. Terrain is exaggerated so don’t think hills are that big but looks good.

I was suppose to send you OE waypoint file of old mines etc in WA - will pull my finger out. I have been busy having holidays!

I will also send some maps you may find useful.

Cheers
Greg

PS thanks for present - totally unnecessary but much appreciated

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 626292

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:36

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:36
Thanks for your help, Greg

Clever stuff!!!

Now I have more to go and play with :-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 626295

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 14:05

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 14:05
Geez, the crossing looks almost driveable from 900 metres. But there is a dark patch which looks like water.

Cheers
FollowupID: 626299

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:24

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:24
G'day Willem

There is a very well established track that heads into the Upper Carawine Gorge area off the Skull Springs road, the track is marked at the intersection by two 44gallon drums painted white, this track takes two directions as you get in closer to the Oakover River.

The first deviation to the right towards the Oakover, is a short track to the centre of the main watercourse, onto what is usually a very loose scree island.

This track changes its approach position onto the island with every major water flow event, so technically it goes nowhere.

The track across the Oakover is further down stream, just head along the main track, the lay of this track leads you straight to the Oakover River. There was at on stage a "Corduroy" track surface into the river, but most of this has been washed away in the floods, this crossing is still quite difficult as the river bed is loose gravel and the water flow is fairly strong, if bogging occurs, you are down quickly and risk being swamped.

If you get across OK the track takes you through the hills out onto the bitumen of the Woodie Woodie road.

Cheers : Joe
AnswerID: 358164

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:53

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:53
Hi Joe,

How are you and Maria doing ? I am coming over to WA in May, but unfortunately will not be getting as far up as Newman. Bummer.

I have been over that Oakover crossing on two occasions.The only car to get bogged was a Disco - rght in the middle - pretty funny as the diesel exhaust coming up from under the water, sounded like a game boat.

Actually, I think Upper Carawine Gorge is an ugly place and not worth a visit, but it is a pretty drive down to the Oakover and a nice campsite on the other side.

Cheers,

Willie.

FollowupID: 626274

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 14:11

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 14:11
Thanks Joe.

I have been sailing like a bird along the track, across the Oakover and through the hills :-)

Going to have some time to spend in that area in July so hopefully we can have some fun exploring the region.

I must say however, I am finding more and more tracks through Google Earth. There must have been one hell of a lot of mineral explortion out there.

Cheers
FollowupID: 626300

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 15:20

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 15:20
Willem,

It might be worth checking with Woodie Woodie Mine before using some of those tracks.

Consolidated Minerals has been taken over now and I am not sure who you would ring to find out.

Willie.
FollowupID: 626313

Sponsored Links