Power connections to slide-on campers

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 10:46
ThreadID: 67547 Views:2704 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
How do others connect the power from the slide-on camper to the vehicle?
I don't want a 'tail' hanging out of the camper so I am considering a connecting lead with an Anderson plug on either end. This will however leave an Anderson plug sticking out on the side of the camper, unless I mount it under some sort of cover or flap.
I have thought about getting the manufacturer to put an Anderson plug size hole in the skin of the camper and mounting the inside plug against this (probably with epoxy to seal it from dust) and just plug in to that.
How ever this makes a connection very prominent and vulnerable to breakage.
Not happy with any of my ideas so far, so over to the forum for opinions, ideas and sheer brilliance.
cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rossc0 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:47

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:47
Ours is an Adventure Campers tray top camper.

As you suggested a lead with an anderson plug on each end and one anderson plug on the front of the tray top camper and one on the back of the tray cargo barrier.

The anderson plug on the front of the camper is mounted with the plug entry pointing down. This allows water to drain through but not go into the cables.

Cheers
Ross
AnswerID: 358181

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 15:36

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 15:36
I made my Slide Off camper with two(three even) Tails :-). One battery stays with the camper and gets a charged by the solar panel when I am away from camp. This has an Anderson Plug Connection to my 2nd battery on the tray.
The other tail is to the lights mounted at the back of my camper. This plugs into the trailer socket at the rear of the car. When the camper is off Both these hang loose.
There is a third Tail - an earth wire that was recommended with the smart charger I am using, when in camp I attach this to an earth spike.
Not sure why you want to hide them, but I have had no problems letting them wag. :-) Cheers Tony
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 358196

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 16:13

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 16:13
P/S I have always thought if you want to go a flush fitting then get two x Male Caravan two plug sockets (they have a flap you can clip shut on them. Then make up a lead with 2 x Female two plug plugs.

I did have them on the back of my tray and front of the camper when first done, they were a bit hard to get too so modified to this setup.

When done this is very neat and flush.

Part # 402 in Plug Section

Ceers Tony
FollowupID: 626318

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 17:11

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 17:11
Woops Female sockets & Male plugs .. Oh well!!! Most would say I am back to front. :-))
FollowupID: 626329

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 17:04

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 17:04
We have the Anderson plug and connector for the Camper pressure fan control mounted side by side on the forward facing panel of the camper. The other halves with the tail are cable tied under the tray when not in use and plugged in and cable tied to the tie rail of the tray when the camper is on.

Works and have never had a problem.
AnswerID: 358205

Sponsored Links