Temperature control on Twine or Glind

Submitted: Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:16
ThreadID: 6758 Views:3906 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm contemplating buying a heat exchange shower and the literature I have suggests that the temperature moderation is done by adjusting the heater controls in the vehicle. Is this correct or am i stupid and reading it incorrectly? If I'm not stupid (in this instance anyway), how do you adjust an in car heater dial when you are under the shower?"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rowdy - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:34

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:34
Yer Wombat
Your on the right track. You need to adjust the heater control before you get your gear off. Usually running it at full heat is the go...
The other major temperature influence is the water temp of the source water, eg, from a creek, bucket or whatever.
The other thing you can do , is slow the flow by reducing the outlet amount at the shower rose - this allows the shower water to stay inthe heat exchanger longer, hence increasing the heat transfer - eg , for cold frosty mornings....
We have the twine model, works great...
You soon get the hang of it.
Rowdy.
AnswerID: 28750

Reply By: Lyds - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:39

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:39
Apparently thats the case, but it doesn't work on all vehicles.

For the Glind I had on my Pajero I had to get a tap to adjust the flow of hot water. Once you work out your settings you don't have to adjust much anyway.

The other thing is to recycle the water in your bucket until it gets to right temperature, then you don't need to worry about the settings.

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 28753

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:40

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:40
Wombat you are not stupid (in this instance) you do adjust with heater controls & flow adjustment on shower head for Twine anyway as it's the one we have & the Boss loves it. If water very cold place shower head in water container (i use a 20 ltr bucket) & let it recirculate a few minutes to warm up.Warning if you turn pump off don't stand under shower & turn it back on as it will scald you .Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 28754

Reply By: Patrollin - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:56

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:56
no, your not stupid wombat, try a long piece of string:-)
AnswerID: 28757

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 10:35

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 10:35
Wombat,

Adjust the heater, and stay dressed, just in case I am coming over the hill while you are showering......................

All the bestSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 28814

Reply By: Tim - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 18:02

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 18:02
Wombat
I made and installed a HWS system based on my mates twine on a cruiser and found a big difference.
In the cruiser (80 series) the cabin heater setting adjusts the flow through the coolant hoses which u connect the unit up to, the hotter the setting in the cabin, the more flow through you shower heat exchange, the hotter the shower.
However in my rig (Jackaroo TD) the flow into the cabin is continous and the cabin heater knob adjusts the flow of air through the heater coil in the dashboard so any adjustment makes very little differance, usually setting it on full heat actually takes the heat out of the system producing colder shower water, therefore the only variants are flow and engine temp (revs).
Tim
AnswerID: 28838

Reply By: ToyMotor - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 21:07

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 21:07
Well wombat, you may or may not be stupid ;-) but I have a Glind in my troopy, and when using "normal" temperature water (i.e. not snow-fed stream) I find that about 1/4 full on the heater control does the trick. The control on the troopy regulates the water flow through the heater and the heat exchanger, as it is mounted in the heater circuit. Make sure your heater fan is off, otherwise heat is lost!

Cheers

ps To answer your question about adjusting the heater control while in the shower, you yell out "can you turn the %^&$#* heater down please!!!"
AnswerID: 28964

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:54

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:54
I have the McPauls Shower unit, and fitted it in the following way:

Using 2 x T peices, i fitted the Heat Exchanger in a way that it Bypasses the Heater unit.

I.E inlet of the Heat Exchanger(HE) tothe outlot on the motor, and the outlet of the HE to the inlet of the motor.

In order to regulate the heat, i placed a Heater Tap (which i picked up from AutoBarn) and using a cable, i can adjust he water flow from the shower, this adjusts the temp :D

I also like this setup as i can turn the Heat Exchanger off, when not in use.

Steve
http://www.offroader.com.au/McPaulsShowerUnit/

Pics of the Installation in my KZJ120 2003 Prado TD
FollowupID: 20242

Sponsored Links