Advice on max. legal boat width for towing across Oz

Submitted: Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 07:56
ThreadID: 67580 Views:14698 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm thinking about getting a 6 metre-ish boat and would like to tow it across state boundaries to go to warmer places for winter. As far as I can see all states impose a supposed max towing width of 2.5m. But some appear to be flexible with over size dimensions and some do not if the beam is over 2.5m e.g in Vic with transom lights, oversize sign etc up to 3+m is OK but doesnt appear Qld or SA has this flexibility.

Towable Oz built boats seem to stick to the 2.5m max width but towable USA built boats do not ie they are around 2.6+m I there seems to be a disconnect. How do owners of boats built in USA that are supposedly trailerable but over 2.5M wide get away with this?

I would like to avoid spending hours on the phone with each of the state road authorities to clarify and I cant find any info on the net that answers this.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:07

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:07
You can get overwidth permits but is a pain in the bottom...here is West Australian criteria.
Vehicles operating on permits issued on the basis of this policy will require
“Oversize” signs front and rear, to have their headlights on in the dipped
position, to have flags on the extremities (450mm square) and to have an
amber rotating flashing light. Night time travel will not be permitted.
Would have thought buying an Australian made boat that complies would be a tad easier. There are also rules that dont allow taking into built up areas, So even passing through a town and wanting to do some shopping becomes a hassle. On some of the naroww roads up this way when a road train comes at you it will be you that needs to drop off the road, dangerous and possible damage..
If a problem occurs with trailer not much chance of retrieval as over width..Most clubs dont have the facility to do that type of work.
All in all not a good idea.
AnswerID: 358279

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:10

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:10
Yep, 2.5m is the max after that you have to go to oversize.
AnswerID: 358281

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:26

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:26
I have seen quite a few oversize boats behind cruisers and effies in the last few weeks between Agnes Water and Bundaberg.
They would have been 7m+ and all had oversize signs and rotating amber lights. They were about 1m wider than the traffic lane. 1 was a charter dive boat on a quad wheel trailer, 1 was a big shark cat with twin 300hp outboards that wasn't much smaller than the dive boat and the rest were just big custom plate boats.

So can be done in Qld but it got a bit hairy when a semi wanted to come past with the roads being as bit narrow and both had to drop off onto the bad shoulder to pass.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 358282

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:29

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:29
As already described in the first reply,
also you will have to nominate which roads you will be using (all of them!).
Shane
AnswerID: 358283

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:15

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:15
You do NOT need to nominate what roads you use with a little 3m wide tinnie

Qld Guideline for Excess Dimension

You can find these type of information at other state Transport Govt' websites
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 358298

Reply By: Janis - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 17:34

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 17:34
Guys
Thanks very much for your help. Looks like I''l stick to 2.5m...
AnswerID: 358409

Sponsored Links