carry me camper

Submitted: Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 21:17
ThreadID: 6763 Views:6181 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all has anyone had good/bad reports on the carry me camper by Candy canvas I saw it in the latest 4x4 Australia mag artical on a GU Patrol set upBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Williewags- Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 13:24

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 13:24
Peter,
There was an article on Neil Cocks' setup in a previous 4x4 Australia Mag. He was very happy with it. I can't put my hand on the article right now but will have a look tomorrow Sunday and see if I can find it. I had a look at the Campers at the Adelaide Show last eyar and they looked pretty sturdy. Cnady can make them to size.
Cheers
Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 28824

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (WA) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 14:26

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 14:26
Thanks I have read the artical Iam looking at putting one on a GU Patrol traytop,so far have only had good reports Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 20081

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 13:39

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 13:39
Peter, I went over Neils unit with a fine toothed comb and ended up building my own for half the cost of what they charge, and I believe my unit has several improvemnets, although this is a personal perspective. But in answer to your question, Neil has had no trouble what so ever with his unit and it performs all that is expected of it. I to have the GU and have lengthened the wheel base to fix the ride problems when fully laden, something I think Nissan should look at doing. The wheelbase,the same as the wagon, is simply too short for a tray back. Neils tray is an 8 foot (2.4M) one, mine is 7'6" (2.1).
AnswerID: 28899

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (WA) - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 13:50

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 13:50
Thanks for the info I am looking at a GU Patrol ST traytop at the moment ,as I have little know how regards the wheel base extention could you give me a idea on the cost of having this done and also any tips on the set up , saddly I am a wood worker not a metal worker or I would have a go at building my own camper and box Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 20134

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (WA) - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 13:52

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 13:52
also what improvements did you make to the origional design of the carry me camper ???Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 20135

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 14:17

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 14:17
When you begin your quest to find a GU ute, take a real hard long look at the overhang past the rear wheels. Measure a line on the side of the tray at the halfway mark, this is where the centre line of the rear wheels should be, or even to the rear of this line a little. Note the position of the tow ball/tongue as to how far and awkward it is tuck under the tray overhang. Generally, for an 8 foot long tray to go on them correctly, they need a 30cm extension welded in to the chassis to lengthen the wheel base. This is usually done just behind the cabin, on the straight section of the rails. Fuel lines, brake lines and a new tail shaft have also to be done. As this alteration effects the build of the vehicle it must be certified by an accredited engineer. Mine cost $1500 including the cerification, all up.
My slide-on has a fixed kitchen area down the near-side which includes a slide for the fridge,shelving,gas cooker and cylinder and has a split door arrangement that allows the lower door to become a table and allow access to the kitchen area. A dividing wall seperates the other side of the camper. Queen sized bed up top and the canvas folds out and over the kitchen area and forms a 2.1x3m fully sewn in floor area room along side the vehicle. Very weather proof and much more "secure" for she who must be obeyed.
AnswerID: 28905

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 04:37

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 04:37
Steve, is it possible to get your address so that I can look at what you have done? I am in the throws of making a camper for the back of my GU ute and yours sounds very interesting. Thanks in advance. e-mail, john.l.sullivan@exxonmobil.com
FollowupID: 20628

Sponsored Links