ARB Air Compressor

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 13:11
ThreadID: 67637 Views:4752 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Can anyone explain to me how to wire an ARB Aircompressor under the bonnet. I have the intructions which include the wiring diagram, however it includes the Air Lockers which confuse the whole situation. I just want to use the compressor to inflate tyres and thats it. Not sure if I still need to use pressure switch, relay etc.... I also want to install a switch under the bonnet instead of the ARB switch in the cab.

Cheers,

Kris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 13:50

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 13:50
Found this one not for ARB but shouldn't matter. Pretty good drawing for what you want.

Google is your friend

AnswerID: 358583

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 14:17

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 14:17
Yes, you will still need the pressure switch.

Forget the wiring diagram that came with the compressor... I can understand why it would confuse you.....

Fit the pressure switch and the quick connect outlet to the compressor. Fit a simple ON/OFF switch where it will be convenient.

Fit the relay and a fuse at a convenient location; fuse should be close to the battery.

Take a heavy duty wire from + battery terminal to relay input tab, via the fuse. Leave the fuse out until the end to avoid any shorts/sparks.

If you want to be able to use the compressor without the motor being on, then run another positive cable (via a piggy-back), from the relay input (the one I just mentioned), to the ON/OFF switch. Then from the other side of the ON/OFF switch to one side of the pressure cut-off switch, then from the other side of the pressure cut-off switch to the switching tab on the relay.

Run a heavy cable from the positive side of the compressor to the appropriate output tab on the relay.

Finally, run the heavy duty negative cable from the compressor to a suitable grounding bolt on the body/chassis/engine. Likewise the final tab on the relay needs to be grounded.

Now, insert the fuse. Turn the switch to "ON" and the compressor should operate for a couple of seconds.... it will stop because the pressure switch will trigger it to turn off.

Plug the hose into the outlet and switch it on again.... it should operate continuously if you have a outlet that allows air to escape all the time.

Hope this helps. I don't have the relay numbers in front of me, but can get them if you need them....or Google is your friend.

Roachie
AnswerID: 358588

Sponsored Links