Triton, Colorado, or BT50???

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:27
ThreadID: 67663 Views:7424 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I get a vehicle supplied as part of my employment package but I am limited to picking from 3 manufacturers. They are Mitsubishi, Holden, or Mazda.

I have told my employer that I would like a Turbo Diesel Dual Cab Ute and so I must choose between a Triton, Colorado or a BT50.

At this stage I am leaning toward the Triton mostly because of the better ground clearance which will come in handy on the tracks on my farm. I love the engine in the BT50 but not much else impresses me.

Anyway I am open to hearing arguments from anyone as to why one choice might be better than another as I don't feel any emotional attachment to any brand.

The vehicle will be used for a combination of regional city miles and high speed rural highway driving throughout regional Qld. On weekends it will be loaded up and driven on low speed steep 4wd tracks on my farm and the occasional beach camping trip.

Fire away fellas!!!!

BW
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Best Off Road - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:40

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:40
Fat,

Two things to consider.

Load carrying or people carrying.

The BT 50 has a much bigger Tub than the Triton. The Triton has much better back seat room/comfort.

Your call.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 358692

Reply By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:50

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:50
Hello Woody

I have just put 3000k on the BT50's twin Ford Ranger and couldn't be happier. I haven't done any serious soft or off roading but it is a good freeway/highway vehicle with economy in the 8.5l/100km range overall, give or take a deicmal point. It easily held the camping requirements for a weekend trip to Dwellingup. The Mazda wouldn't be any different I wouldn't think.

My neighbour drives a new work supplied Triton and the first thing he said was the turbo lag was a pain. He previoulsy had a petrol Rodeo so i guess he notices. It is an auto, i don't know what difference that might make. I have no complaints about the manual Ranger's performance.

Had a quick look at the respective websites and they say the ground clearance is 205/207 in the Mazda's favour ... not much in that.

I reckon it could come down to looks. Ford is pig ugly but you don't have to have one , Mazda not so bad, Colarodo looks modern, Triton is ... Triton. Ford/Mazda interior is pretty basic , others are better and I think have a few more bells and whistles .

Good luck

Rocco

AnswerID: 358694

Reply By: Member - John F (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 07:33

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 07:33
Don't know if the Colorado is directly derived from the Rodeo, but a mate had a Rodeo for an extended test last year and said it was a dog. The turning circle and handling were apparently pretty poor.
Have not heard of any flaws with the other two, however.

Regards, John.
AnswerID: 358739

Reply By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 08:06

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 08:06
Hi B W

We have a Ford Ranger and a Mazda BT at work the guys are very happy them. We thought the price was good to, heaps cheaper at the time than the Toyota and Nissan for the same thing.

I have a brother in law with a new Triton Diesel he loves it, he is wrapped in the fuel economy and the power.

Cheers Scoof :-)
AnswerID: 358742

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 08:27

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 08:27
I've had a Triton for the past year. Though I'm not that happy with the shape of the front and the height of the door, it goes well and it is quite pleaant to drive.

Too bad they didn't come out with cruise control as its speed tends to creep up on you, so you need to watch your speedo.

Mine came with a few bells and whistles eg. rear lid, sports profile roll bar and a similar nudge bar at the front, all cosmetic rubbish. They werel removed and replaced with decent ARB canopy & bullbar.

Otherwise good.
AnswerID: 358746

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:59

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:59
Holden split with Isuzu , , The Colorado is the rebadged version of the Isuzu D-Max made in Thailand , previous model /s were the Holden Rodeo , the Isuzu D-Max is the biggest selling ute /dual cab in Asia ,, resale time a rebadged vehicle generaly brings less than the original , [ ford maveric /nissan patrol ect ] ,,,,,
AnswerID: 358757

Reply By: Angler - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:07

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:07
I would go for the triton, Mate has one and it goes well, great economy and no reported problems. Rodeo is a bit of a slug at times and the bt50's have had a few engines seize up.
AnswerID: 358761

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:07

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:07
BW,

This may not be an issue for you, but the Triton is the only ute available that offers full time 4wd.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 358762

Follow Up By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:16

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:16
Before the Landrover fans lynch me, I know the 130 has full time 4wd!! It's not under consideration in this case though.
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 626786

Follow Up By: Stu-k - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:39

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:39
its not really full time 4wd
FollowupID: 626788

Follow Up By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:49

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:49
The latest Triton has Super Select 4wd, so it can be run in 2wd, full time 4wd, 4wd locked high and low range.

Maybe I should have said it has the capability to run in full time 4wd.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 626789

Reply By: Big Woody - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 14:11

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 14:11
Thank you everyone for the great replies. The information is very helpful for me to make an informed decision.

My brother has a Ranger and a trip with us to Fraser Island last Christmas saw the Ranger leave the island on a flat-tray after hitting a washout only about 1ft high at 50km/hr.
Great motor though. It pulls much harder than my turbo 80 series.

I think if the Colorado is just a revamped Rodeo then I will leave it alone. They are a bit light on in other features.

After reading the comments I think I am leaning a bit stronger toward the Triton now. Not that I care too much about what it looks like I dont mind the appearance of the Triton. Some have mentioned the diff-lock as being an option with the Triton. Now this is a feature that has my attention and will be enough to swing my decision I think.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

BW
AnswerID: 358789

Sponsored Links