reversing camera and tinting

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 12:12
ThreadID: 67711 Views:2012 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I've got a Nissan GU cab/chassis. I have fitted a reversing camera that clips over the existing rear view mirror. It is virtually useless in bright sunshine. Has anyone had there windows tinted to overcome this as was it effective
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 12:46

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 12:46
Try making a thin cardboard hood for it, probably need to only extend it out on the top and sides by about 30mm to stop the light shining directly on the screen. I did this in the bus at work and it made a huge difference even though the windows on the bus were nearly black from the outside there was still a lot of light on the screen.
If the cardboard works, just spray it matt black and use black cloth tape to attach it, nobody will be any the wiser and it will look ok as well.
AnswerID: 358961

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 13:07

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 13:07
A lot of that stuff is virtualy useless in bright sun RMB.

Including the majority of GPS units and 90% of pc's.

The tint does help, particularly in you get darkest (warning this
reduces mobile phone/ GPS reception - without external aerials).
But you are still facing into a screen with a bright background
and this further upsets your eyes.( I also like Ozhumvee's suggestion above )

Its expensive but a full tinted windscreen is a possibly.

Its worth getting a piece of windscreen film offcut and putting it behind the rear vision mirror to ease the impact on your eyes .

Mounting screen such that it is partially shaded e.g. below dash level also helps
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 358965

Follow Up By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 15:52

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 15:52
Just a comment from some one who knows nothing, i thought it was illegal to have your windscreen fully tinted.

Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 626986

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 16:02

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 16:02
Hi Baz

It doesn't work that way with windscreen - you don't get someone to apply tint to it.

Instead you buy a special made replacement windscreen with layer of Uv and max legal tint inlaid between glass layers.

Think was $600 for GU's

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 626989

Follow Up By: PradOz - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 16:36

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 16:36
I have the real dark tint and i havent noticed any problems with glare on the GPS. But I have in daughters car, so tint maybe the solution.

Also the tint has never ever interfered with reception to my GPS or mobile phones. Actually had the GPS on a couple weeks back and decided i didnt need it as i thought i knew where to go, so put it away inside its case and that into a large pencil case i keep it all in and through it onto front passenger seat. I drove off and as i headed to first corner i heard someone talking and realised it was the GPS telling me where to go and it kept working that way all the way to my destination 20 mins later, despite being in two cases and lying on the seat. I had forgotten to turn it off when putting away. I couldnt believe it would work like that so makes a me think i will fit it lower off dash somewhere rather than on glass so these idiots that like to break in to cars to steal them dont see the tell tale rings on the screen left behind (so GPS worked with dark tint and inside two cases - mad hey!)
FollowupID: 626996

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 16:50

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 16:50
The reason these dont work well is they are a mirror after all and the screen brightness cannot overcome the reflection in the mirror.

I found the only thing that worked was a translucent overlay that you would get from a sign writers.
This stops that part of the mirror from reflecting and still allows you to see the camera picture.

I gave up cut the power wire and have an 8 in screen mounted in front of the dash.

Cheers you have wasted your money I"m afraid.

FollowupID: 626997

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 21:08

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 21:08
The cars that GPS's dont work in have a factory metallic type tint which inhibits the signal.
You can tell them when you are wearing sunglasses when driving.
They are the ones that have a purplish colour.

BMW and some other European cars mainly

Probably the metalic stuff for DIY does the same.

FollowupID: 627028

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 19:54

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 19:54
Try tilting the mirror/screen up toward the roof line when using the reversing camera.

My Jack is terrific when using the Tomtom or PDA which attach to the glass with a suction cup. The more vertical front windscreen is "designed" for them.
I have tried them in the bloody Commodore and the slope of the front windscreen makes them practically useles to read in daylight.

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 359015

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 21:12

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 21:12
Just as an aside my Croozer has darker than legal tint in the rear door winows and the rest of the rear windows and darkest legal in the drivers and passengers windows.

It makes no difference to the poor quality of the rear vision camera screen.

FollowupID: 627029

Reply By: 4berock - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 02:49

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 02:49
Tinting thw front windscreen is illegal and also harder to see at night, i would recomend 5%tint on rear window 15% on side windows ,as u only have 2 of them and the front screen is almost bigger then both the sides also get a sunstrip across the top of windscreen about 6inch thick or just to the point so it doent effect u when u look out front screen this will help an or put the monetor lower in say below dash where abit darker
Cheers
AnswerID: 359043

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 16:21

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 16:21
Usually tint is expressed as 70% or 85% as in the amount of light it stops or so the installer of mine told me..

Spellchecker ????????
FollowupID: 627111

Follow Up By: 4berock - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 09:33

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 09:33
hi Graham
iv been in the trade 14yrs and i alway exspress it as the grade of film an explain that it only allows 15% light throught the window as for a 5% grade will allow only 5% light an so on.but i guess all to their own .
cheers
FollowupID: 627175

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 10:06

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 10:06
You probably are correct.

Its the half empty, half full thing isnt it

Depends which way you are looking at it i guess

No pun intended

Cheers
FollowupID: 627176

Sponsored Links