Mitta Mitta to Omeo road - is part unsealed?

Submitted: Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:40
ThreadID: 67736 Views:2647 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, can you please update me on the road above. My maps show 2 parts unsealed and don't know if this has been changed or not now. Planning on riding road bikes from Gold Coast to Phillip Island in October and would like to hear from anyone who knows the road. Thanks, Jan
Couldn't ask for any better!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: True Blue - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 19:30

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 19:30
Jan, by road bikes do you mean pedal or motor?

For all it's worth I have done this road about 4 times in the last 3 years and if you can do it it's an absolute beauty. A zillion bends, great views and 100% concentration all the way.

Pedal bikes - road racer style with the thin tyres definitely a no go as there is an extensive stretch of dirt and I would think unsuitable for this style of bike. Mountain bikes would have no problem.

Motor bikes, both road and trail, no problems as long as you ride to the conditions and your capabilities.

Lots and lots of blind corners. Always play the 'what if' game. Assume there will be traffic at some stage and remember that the road is winding enough not for you to see the oncoming traffic until it's right in front of you. Logging trucks also travel this road.

Gee, I hope I haven't turned you off. Do it, just be careful.

This part of Victoria's high country was very badly burned by bushfire a few years ago and it's regeneration is coming along nicely. It certainly is a beautiful run especially the section from Omeo to Bairnsdale.

Come back to me if you want any more info.

Cheers,
True Blue.
AnswerID: 359120

Follow Up By: True Blue - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 19:34

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 19:34
Jan.

I should have included in above reply.

Just from memory I would say the dirt section would be say 20 - 30ks. The rest is sealed.

Hope this helps you.

True Blue,.
FollowupID: 627119

Follow Up By: Member - Jan Z (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 14:07

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 14:07
Thanks True Blue. It makes me want to see it just from your reply. Unfortunately we will probably miss it as it is dirt. We are all travelling (4 bikes) on motorcycles and it could be difficult if wet. 3 bikes will have pillion passengers and weight is a bit of a worry on a wet dirt road. We will take the road thru Beechworth, Myrtleford, Bright to Omeo as that appears to be sealed all the way. In a 4WD or car, it would be different, but this trip will be on the 2 wheel variety. Once again thanks for your information. All the best, Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 627198

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 15:03

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 15:03
I've done it on touring bikes a couple of times and it was no drama. Worst bit is the corrugations on some of the uphill bends. On a sportsbike with firm suspension it would be pretty horrible.

Another route to consider is Mt Beauty to Omeo via the Bogong High Plains road and Omeo H/way. This is sposed to be sealed by June and will re-open after the snow season some time in Oct I think.
FollowupID: 627200

Follow Up By: Member - Jan Z (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 16:30

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 16:30
Thanks Sigmund. On my map it also shows some unsealed but if I keep tuned, it could well be that this is done by the time of our trip in October and would be a good alternative route. You always hate coming and going the same way. Thanks for your information. All the best, Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 627278

Reply By: True Blue - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 16:48

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 16:48
Jan. Don't be put off because it may be wet or there may be corrugations. If you slow down and drive to the conditions you will be fine.

The section of road from Mitta Mitta to Omeo should be taken slowly anyway because the road demands it.

It is a beautiful piece of Victoria but the alternative route from Bright to Omeo (Great Alpine Way) is an absolute beauty as well. Sealed all the way and takes you over Mt.Hotham etc., the rooftop of Victoria.

Either route will not dissappoint.

Interesting to view your signature photo. We will be doing Oodnadatta for the first time in July with a group of friends and looking forward to it very much.

Cheers, True Blue.
AnswerID: 359209

Follow Up By: Member - Jan Z (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 16:27

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 16:27
Hi again True Blue, thanks for all your info, but we think we will still take the Great Alpine Way which as you suggest, should be quite spectacular as well. Maybe we will come back another way to see more. You will enjoy the Oodnadatta track, it is really easy, except if it rains. If you get the chance, plan an overnight stop at Coward Springs and enjoy the hot spring/spa. We had a good trip in 2007, leaving from the Gold Coast, through Camerons Cnr, out to the Oodnadatta, into Alice, out to Giles/Warakurna then back through the Simpson. It was also July and weather was great apart from that one thunderstorm along the Oodnadatta. Happy travelling. Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 627277

Sponsored Links