Track info please: Jamieson to Licola

Submitted: Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 13:06
ThreadID: 67737 Views:2616 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day..... we're just about to head off on a couple of weeks holidays and plan to camp near Barham tomorrow night. Then I'm looking at going to Orbost (or thereabouts) via Shepp, Benalla, Mansfield,Jamieson, Licola, Heyfield etc.

Can anybody tell what the track is like between Jamieson and Liciola please? I just don't want to find myself on a track like the McKillops Bridge run where it's skinny, single lane for kilometer after kilometer, with the camper on the back and then having to do some serious backing up....

Thanks in advance for the info.....

Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 14:46

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 14:46
G'day Roachie,

You'll have no worries between Jamieson and Licola - the road is as wide as any highway and rated (by me) as 'fast gravel' although a few bends and oncoming traffic to worry about.

If you're up at Dargo over the Easter weekend - drop in at the DSE compound - I'll be staying there until Monday.

Enjoy your trip,

Tim - Stratford.
AnswerID: 359087

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 15:45

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 15:45
Thanks for that Tim....dunno how we'll go for time, but will see what happens.....

Cheers and have a good one....

Roachie
FollowupID: 627105

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 17:52

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 17:52
Gday
Call in and i'll make a cuppa for you and family.
We are in Dandenong.MM me.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 359106

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 20:02

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 20:02
Roachie,

I used to live in the Howqua Valley and drive over Mt. Skene to visit my girlfriend (at the time). It is by far the fastest way over to the Latrobe Valley from Mansfield. Like Tim, I rate it generally as a fast gravel road, though there are a few sections where it is a little narrow, though you will have no problems passing other cars, etc. It is far more 'interesting' in the winter..... :-)

I only had to turn around once on this road and it was early winter with some very thick fresh snow on the road....the Licola store and the Wallopers at Jamieson are usually fairly good sources of road conditions, though the police err on the side of (extreme) safety to avoid having to go and pull out under prepared tourists mucking around in the snow. On this occasion the Licola store said they had seen cars going through earlier that day, but there must have been heaps of snow since, as I couldn't get through.... long trip back to Mansfield then around the bottom through Healsville - Pakenham - Latrobe Valley. Things we do for (??!!) love or lust..... 8-)

Have a great trip, and don't forget to stop on Mt. Skene and climb up for the view if the weather is OK. It's great country.

CHeers,

Mark
AnswerID: 359126

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 04:32

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 04:32
Roachie

Wonthaggi is not that far from where you are going.
What are the chances of you dropping in ?

Cheers MAte
Bucky
AnswerID: 359341

Sponsored Links