Fire Extinguisher: do you carry one and where do you mount it

Submitted: Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 15:53
ThreadID: 67743 Views:7191 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
On my old GU I has a fire extinguisher mounted on the floor just in front of the drivers seat and I also carried a fire blanket in the back of the vehicle. Just setting up my new D40 for an extended trip and trying to figure out where the best place to fit the fire extinguisher might be. The only spot I can see is in front of either the drivers or passengers seats on the floor but this is a bit of a squeeze relative to the patrol. I will continue to carry a fire blanket in mounted on my storage unit in the back.

I'd be interested in learning where other mount their fire extinguiher(s)....or indeed do you carry one at all?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 15:59

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 15:59
Absolutely indeed. Mine lives in the front with me, between seats on transmission tunnel. Dont care how much room it takes up or how cumbersome it is, its just like a seat belt, might be a bugger at times but its there to save your life. Wouldnt travel without one.
AnswerID: 359093

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 16:11

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 16:11
Mine is in a vertical bracket on the cargo barrier between the front seats.
The rear seats have been removed (legally) and the barrier is right up against the front seats

There is also one in the rear drawers and one in the van along with a fire blanket.

FollowupID: 627110

Reply By: Rossc0 - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 16:24

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 16:24
Four all up.

One in front of drivers and passenger seats.

One on tray cargo barrier.

One in camper kitchen area.

Having had one engine fire and found that one 1kg extinguisher was not enough we now carry 4 1kg extinguishers.

Never know which side you might need to access it from.

Cheers
Ross
AnswerID: 359097

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 18:00

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 18:00
Yeah Ross see where you are coming from. From personal experience I've found that a fire blanket is best around the cooking areas tent or camper. Thankfully, I've not had to deal with an engine/vehicle fire.
FollowupID: 627112

Follow Up By: Rossc0 - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 13:21

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 13:21
We do have a fire blanket in the camper as well and yes they are a more usefull around a fire and kitchen.

Cheers
Ross
FollowupID: 627194

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 19:48

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 19:48
2 are better then 1 for sure. I also wrap a material strap around the extinguisher holding bracket with a Velcro closure. I have found that the metal clips are easy to open by knocking them if the extinguisher is close to other items that are in regular use (or your feet). The Velcro strap is easy to rip open when required.
Also, in case of a roll over an extinguisher could be a rather dangerous missile hence the additional Velcro strap. This happened on a mates truck !

AnswerID: 359124

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 19:54

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 19:54
PS - I also carry a good pair of leather gloves that are easily accessible. A hot bonnet can be blo*** awkward to find the release and lift up if their are flames under there ! I also have a 2 litre gardening pump sprayer filled with water mounted in a bracket behind the drivers seat in my Troopy. The idea is that the pressure spray nozzle works when pointing uphill at burning grasses under a vehicle.

FollowupID: 627123

Reply By: obee1212 - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 21:23

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 21:23
dont forget the shaken can of beer if you run out of extinguisher. Any soft drink for that matter but beer is best.

owen
AnswerID: 359138

Reply By: farmer112 - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 23:10

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 23:10
Hi Patrol22,

I would absolutely recommend to carry a fire extinguisher, better two of them if you have the possibility.

An engine fire is very hard to put out with only one extinguisher. I even did not manage to put out an engine fire using two small fire extinguishers two weeks ago - came across a burning car on the Autobahn. The car burnt out completely. No one injured, so no worries about it. But being a volunteer fire fighter as well as a professional fire protection engineer, I imagined what would have happened if it had been an accident and people had been trapped inside the car. Therefore I will not only keep one small fire extingiusher in the front of my car, but also equip the trunk with a big one instead of a small one.

A fire blanket for the camp kitchen would also be a good idea.

If you really go bush via tracks, you should think about carrying a 5 litre pressurized garden spray as well. This becomes very handy if you have a spinnifex fire under your car. This type of fire is not rare, I saw quite a few burnt out vehicles on photos in my outback guide books. I will travel the CSR late in May this year together with some friends with two cars, we will equip both cars with garden sprays in addition to fire extinguishers.

When you think about emergency equipment for your car, also think about an emergency hammer. This can be mounted near the door. You can use it for smashing glass, and it has a built-in cutter for safety belts. Becomes very handy if you have to help a trapped person. Becomes even more handy if you are trapped yourself. ;-)

If you are going on a bigger trip and if this contains real outback it is absolutely necessary to carry an advanced first aid kit as well. I know from experience that it can happen quite quickly in Oz that you have to help other people who are in trouble. In densely populated Germany I can rely on the ambulance to arrive within 10 minutes - the outback is a total different story, therefore I carry plenty of first aid equipment. Of course, every person in your group should hold a valid first aid certificate.

Stay safe,

Cheers from bloody boring Dortmund/Germany,

Juergen

German by Birth, but Aussie by Heart!

AnswerID: 359155

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 08:42

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 08:42
Some really good points there Juergen. It is certainly good to see that you are prepared for the Aussie Outback. Unfortunately too many visitors to this country, just don't understand how sparsely populated and how few services are available in the huge open spaces we have at our back door. I hope you enjoy your stay with us and we may even cross paths as I will be in the general area of the CSR through Jul and Aug.

Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 627173

Reply By: Bushed-Tracker - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 14:03

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 14:03
One mounted on the outside of the O/H centre console and a second one in the rear drawers.
B-T
AnswerID: 359192

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 16:51

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 16:51
2. One (1KG) on the floor in front of the drivers seat, and a 2KG on the cargo barrier. Also a fire blanket in the pocket of the back door.

AnswerID: 359210

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 16:52

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 16:52
And 1 more in the camper trailer when we take it.Can't have too many IMO.

FollowupID: 627204

Reply By: Mogul - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 21:13

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 21:13
You are better off having 1 x 2kg rather than 2 x 1 kg.
AnswerID: 359240

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 00:15

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 00:15
If you mount a Fire Extinguisher vertically in a vehicle, there is a danger that powder will compact over time and not blow out when needed.

Mounting it horizontally means that powder can "slosh" around with vehicle movement.
AnswerID: 359441

Reply By: Bluemetaldaisy - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 14:12

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 14:12
Being a volunteer firefighter myself, I make sure I have adequate fire protection. I also strongly agree with carrying an advanced first aid kit. One thing, I didn't buy a cheapie extinguisher, but bought a quality one from a reputable company. The reason being the powder quality used. Cheapies use bi carb of soda as the extinguishant, where the better brands use proper powders. I also agree with poder caking over time. A simple shake from time to time should correct this. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 359509

Sponsored Links